What is a c-print?

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by robert_k|1, Mar 29, 2007.

  1. I find the definition of a c-print at wikipedia rather confusing.


    What was the historical origin of c-prints? What makes them "special"? In
    galleries I found the term being applied to just about anything. In practice
    today, what should be correctly qualified as c-prints, and what should not be?
    For examples, should digital prints from film scans be included or excluded?
  2. This has been fully discussed on multiple threads here and on APUG.

    I have posted a complete history of Kodak color paper there.

    Type "C" color prints is/was a trademark of Eastman Kodak for its color paper intended to make prints from color negatives. No other material may properly have this name.

    Ron Mowrey
  3. It's just a normal color print. They aren't in any way special. If you go to Walmart for prints what you get is a c-print.

    Technically I guess it's Kodak's trademark for their paper, but it's sort of like Kleenex.

    A better generic name would be dye coupler print.
  4. color prints of any sizes
  5. It's not JUST color prints. An inkjet print is not a c-print. A r-type print from a slide is not a c-print. None of the Ilfochrome processes are c-prints, nor are dye transfers, pigment transfers, polaroids...
  6. Chromogenic. Wet process paper that produces prints from negatives.

    Bill Pearce
  7. 'from negatives...'

    or from digital files (Frontier, Lightjet, Lambda etc)
  8. a color coupler print made on a color negative paper?
  9. Thanks for the responses. It sounds like the term started out with a rather narrow and strict definition, but is now used more liberally to mean a color print from whatever. I think some galleries use it to "disguise" a digital print. Regardless, the important part is to realize that it really means nothing special.

Share This Page