What is 100% crop

steve_gray3

On the contrary it DOES mean something very important. It means that the portion of the image shown is 100% the size (pixels). This is useful when doing resolution tests, etc... Often time you see this in lens reviews where the writer shows a portion of the picture (crop) at its original size (100%).

I too have found the term confusing and ambiguous. As I understand it, it means that a portion of an original picture (which has not been cropped or resized) is being displayed and since the term is generally used for digital images, the cropped portion has not undergone digital processing except as noted.

It's a practice used to illustrate the performance of a lens so it often shows the center, edges or corners of the original picture.

So, in a sense, I guess it means cropped from the original 100% picture.

If I am wrong, someone please enlighten me.

100% crop--my understanding is that oftentimes digital images have more resolution than what can be displayed on the screen. For example--a 6 megapixel image is 3000x2000. However, most screens can display 1280x960 or 1024x768 or 800x600. So, when you display a 6mp image on those screens, the viewing program will shrink the image to fit. You can see the actual image size by zooming into 100% viewing magnification.

100% crop is a portion of the image at 100% magnification cropped to show a certain area. It's useful when comparing the picture qualities of different cameras. For example, a 100x100 pixel portion of a 6mp image (3000x2000) compared to a 100x100 pixel portion of a 1.3 mp image (1280x960) will give you a good idea of how the two cameras' images compare, much better than seeing a 3000x2000 and 1280x960 shrunk to fit the monitor's 800x600 resolution.

It means a small portion of a larger image file has been extracted and displayed at monitor resolution, e.g., 72dpi. I find viewing images at pixel level photographically useless but many have derived hours of enjoyment and endless forum debates. Stop down and use a tripod and any cheap kit lens can produce a razor sharp 6 x 10" print when a 3072 x 2048 file is printed at 300dpi. But a 640 x 480 crop from the same file displayed at 72dpi looks fuzzy and gritty (duh).

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I agree that this term is slightly confusing, especially to non digital users. But I think everyone seems to get the jist of what it means, or is supposed to mean as they have explained above. However, isn't the "100%" tag a little superfluous? If a (digital) image is merely cropped, then there is no reason why the remaining section should also have been resized. It's the resizing which will affect the proportional pixels per inch/cm compared to the original file/capture as a representation of the subject, not the cropping.

I nominate the acronym "URCOF" instead: un-Resized Crop of Original File. Alternative, we could just use the traditional term for this.. A Crop!

:-)

It sounds confusing :) but the 100% refers to the display size in pixels. The crop refers to the portion being shown compared to the size of the picture.

For ex. let's say you made an 11x14 print to test your new Photo printer and wanted to check a small portion of that print. You would cut a 2x2 piece out and examine it. That would be a 100% (you have not changed the original size of the print) size of a section (CROP) of the print.