What has happened to PhotoNet ?

les

Well, I know I should not post it here - but "Everything else" forum kind of

disappeared...

So - where did it disappear and why ?

And what happened to "Who's online ?" - I mean either previous stats which

indicated (usually) upwards of 200 members online have been inaccurate, or the

current stats (about 30) are ?

In addition - all the recent changes: not impressed at all...

For instance: all the comments in every folio now are crowded together, no

difference in font (name, text), funny spacing between messages, rigid page

width.

And there is no indication of the threads visited recently (they used to be

marked with changed color in the title)...

And pages load and refresh way slower...

In short - maybe there was a good reason to do that, but...it bears all the

hallmarks of Microsoft type policy: get something new out, something looking

different, does not matter if it is better...or am I wrong here ?

I think forum appearance has taken a small step forward. Not overwhelmed. There are odd

gaps in the post lists and, yes, visited links no longer work. Also, the page loads rip on my

Mac (OS 10.48, Safari)--faster than before. Basically it's the same old forum with new

underpants. Nothing to scream about either way...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I also find the funny spacing and the lack of colour change on recently visited threads annoying. Hopefully these are teething problems and will go away.

Incidentally the spacing occurs due to the subscriber and frequent poster icons.

I like the post a comment section at the bottom of the thread. This makes it much easier to refer to the whole thread when composing a response. Give kudos where they are due.

<p>And there's a big discussion thread about what people do and don't like in the Feedback forum (which has also "disappeared" - it's not listed in the list of forums any more, but if you add it to your unified view or click on the "Contact Us" link, you can get to it). Really, that's where this discussion should be; this is not a discussion about Canon EOS gear.</p>

Please be patient everyone. I know it must be frustrating. But believe me, it's frustrating for those of us on photo.net's staff as well. Poor Jin the programmer is being worked like a gold rush mule!

Give the new design a few days and all the bugs should be worked out. Big projects take time to get right.

"As to format change, resistance to change has always existed and will always exist, get used to it or move on. This is not your site."

Steve, I am fully aware of the fact that it is not my site. I am also aware that the much flaunted change is frequently not for the better (and I am not talking right now about PhotoNet). From my perspective as an engineer - things generally change for the worse, and the old adage "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" should be tought to kids at primary schools.

Instead - they are tought that change is good, that you should adjust, upgrade, buy the new version, junk the "old" and "obsolete" things, put up with price increases etc. etc.

In other words - give me a break...this kind of approach has nothing to do with progress (more with brainwashing).

Back to PhotoNet - I know these are teething problems, and I am happy to wait until things get fixed.

And back to Steve - actually, on consideration, THIS IS MY SITE. I like it, I try to contribute - so while I appreciate your comments, I did not ask for lecture. Peace.

Hey, things ARE IMPROVING already ! Well done, thanks, can't wait until we see more of it !

And I did read couple of threads below - people are bitching - and sometimes they were right (although some views are rather radical...)

As many others, I would not mind paying more for subscription - as long as PN works well, ads are limited and the rating system is sorted out - no anonymous rating :D - OK, OK, I know...

But seriously - I seem to remember reading somewhere :) that "Our average reader is a 40-year-old gearhead with a $100,000 annual salary who plans to spend $3,000 in the next 12 months on camera equipment."

If that's the case - I do not think that raising the annual fee is a big problem. I am serious about my photography (so are many other people), PN subscription is a small portion of the budget (in addition to the computer, firewall, anti-virus & anti-spy and anti-net-junk software & many other expenses), and most certainly this site is very useful.

I guess it is up to PG to decide which way to go - but I would think that loyal and happy subscribers go a long way toward the success of this site. How about a survey - should not be too difficult to put it on the front page - asking something like that: "Would you pay $X.X more for PN subscription if we guarantee that...1).....2).....3)....."

You already have one "YES" vote (subject to 1)...2)....3)"