What flash for Bronica ETRSi?

kari douma

I recently purchased my first MF camera, a Bronica ETRSi. I have

used it in studio with strobes, but now I want to venture into flash

for shooting on the go. (Weddings, outdoor fill flash) I want TTL.

I've been looking at the Metz 45CL-4, and the Sunpak 622. The sunpak

is definately cheeper, but I wonder about it's quality. Oh,... did I

say I'm on a thight budget? I'll probobly buy one used on Ebay. I

read a few consumer reviews, and the Metz got great reviews all the

way. The Sunpak had both good and bad. Does anyone have any

suggestions? Also, do I need a motor winder or grip for using this?

I'm also a little confused about the cords. I know I need a module

for the Bronica, but do I use the PC cord too? Or the M-11 with the

Sunpak? If there is another TTL flash that will work with my camera

that is reasonably priced, let me know!

Thanks!

Metz makes a GREAT flash and the CL-4 is very versatile. Personally, the TTL

module is a waste of money and can be fooled in certain situations. Inside,

just shoot @ 1/60th at whatever stated f stop for the flash. Either flash model is

it's own handle and is very convenient. You don't have to get the "module" for

Bronica... just plug in the synch socket and go. Why do you feel you need

TTL?

Another good thing to think about, especially if you want to wonder into the

wedding market, is a Quantum Turbo battery. They are awhole lot better than

AA batteries (a set of 6 or 8 AA batteries will only last 1/2 to 2/3 of a wedding)

and the flash recycle is faster.

Another great flash you might want to look over are the Quantum Q flashes.

Scott,

What do you mean "Inside, just shoot @ 1/60th at whatever stated f stop for the flash."? I guess I don't know enough about flash photography. I know how to look at the guide, in feet, and figure your distance to determine you're f stop. That is why I wanted TTL, because I am a bad judge of distance, and when you are photographing things that are moving, my brain can't think that fast. I figure if I have TTL, I can just set my desired f stop, set 1/60 shutter speed, and the TTL will fill in the rest. (I know there are exceptions to this). By the way, a batery pack is next on my list after the flash! To get TTL I need a dedicated module for both the Metz and Sunpak.

I have a SQA and I use the good old Vivitar 283. For outdoor fill flash, set the exposure for the ambient light, set the flash on the auto setting corresponding to the f stop and shoot. Can't be any easier. Chased my little girl around a playground in bright sunlight and had no shading due to her hat and the exposures in the shade of the equipment matched the background perfectly. You can do the same thing inside. Set the camera for the ambient exposure and the flash for the aperture setting. Works with the flash mounted on the speed grip. There is a remote cord available for the 283 that allows you to move the camera off camera a couple feet but the sensor stays at the camera.

Hi Scott.

Brian

I use the Sunpak 383 on auto, it's almost identical to the vivitar 283, about same price also, works great. It fits on the hotshoe on the speedgrip. The speedgrip makes the ETRSi handle like a large 35mm. Much easier to trigger especially in the portrait mode. I also use a Metz 60-4 on auto. I have the TTL module but never use it.

• 2 months later...

The suggestions they have made you are good. I use the Vivitar 283 too, but if I have to use wide angle lenses like 60mm or 50mm, I prefer to use the Vivitar 285, using the sensor acording to the film you use.Indors, in a wedding for instance..shoot half stop over the suggested lens apperture in the wheel the flash have.

For TTL...try the Sunpak 120J TTL. I know there are others, but asking you will get what you need.

And to look these flashes and more information go to www.bhphotovideo.com, and read about anything you might like