What can I practice on without a person?

<p>Self portraits are a good way to learn not just about lighting, but about what it feels like to be in front of the camera. If you can't direct yourself, then how can you expect to direct a sitter or model? A mannequin or styrofoam head can't be posed properly or change expression, so using yourself as a live model allows you to experiment much more with poses, camera angles, make up, etc, etc.</p>

<p>Get yourself a little remote trigger that can be hidden in the hand to fire the camera, rather than trying to use the self-timer. OK, some types of lighting are tricky to set up on yourself - Rembrandt for example, where you have to position the light exactly to get the correct nose shadow. It's all good practise though, and you'll soon get a feel for what works and what doesn't. </p>

<p>A bust of Julius Caesar I have on a column works for some things and is part of my living room décor otherwise. Get a more romantic bust and it can double as a prop. DOF, lighting patterns, use of gobos, background effects, fall off, feathering etc. Not so good for what skin will look like, spec highlights, catch lights. For experimenting with those things, I test on myself. Here's a test of shooting split light from the broad/lit side using a flag to give the appearance of a more slender face and thank you Tim, subtracting from the shadow side and below. </p><div>00c3JM-542942184.jpg.26c1e7c0f514384704b67965c4f038fc.jpg</div>

<p>Years ago I got a mannequin head from my hair stylist. These are special ones that stylists get when they are learning to cut and style hair. They have realistic looking hair and facial features, complete with eyes and eyebrows, not just a bald head like you see on store mannequins. They even come with a clamp for attaching to a table. Just about anybody who cuts hair has owned one at some point and might still have it laying around. If you're not friends with your hair stylist, they can be bought from beauty supply stores and, I'm sure, online.</p>