What are your picks for the most beautiful SLRs?

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by jdm_von_weinberg, Sep 22, 2007.

1. I'll deviate from the ruling opinion that the plain prism is more beautiful. I am a fan of the Nikon F with the photomic finder and consider it the king of (unconventional) SLR beauty.
    [​IMG]

2. SCL

SCL

I'm coming late to the party, but here are my choices: Pentax Spotmatic, Contax RX, Leicaflax SL2, Leica R8, Olympus Pen F. If I could add a 6th it would definitely be a Nikon F. :)

3. Minolta SR-1s:

Minolta SR-1S.JPG

stuart_pratt, James Bryant and SCL like this.
  4. Certainly one the most handsome, in my opinion, the Exakta Varex VXIIa

exakta-varex-iia--czj-biotar-582_21104203689_o copy.jpg

5. Contarex Special s-l1600.jpg

6. Some people think Brutalist architecture is beautiful.
    IMG_20210606_184735.jpg
    In the same way, this Thornton-Pickard appeals because it strips the SLR principle to its basics, and everything is on display. Combined winder and speed selector for the focal-plane shutter, combined mirror-lift and shutter trigger. Even the lens cover does double duty as a lens shade. Function defining form, with no pretence at conventional beauty.

At the other extreme we have the sleek streamlining and simplicity of an early Pentax SV -
    Pentax SV.jpg
    Ergonomically near-perfect - for a right-handed person - and If you excuse the later addition of the not-quite so streamlined, but optically excellent Chinon lens.

Beauty can take many forms.

Kent T, ericphelps, kmac and 2 others like this.