Wet behind the ears

I am currently a single teacher with a love for photography. Don't

get me wrong - I am ABSOLUTELY an amateur. However, I am looking to

invest in some new equipment and start learning. I have looked for

apprenticeships in my area - to no avail. So, I have decided to

learn on my own as much as I can. I have scoured the internet,

taken hundreds of shots, ordered books, and spent hours in the local

library. I would eventually (we are talking years here) like to do

weddings/engagement portratits, right now I am just about learning.

I need advice on the best ways to learn and where to start as far as

camera equipment. I have budgeted about $3500 for new

camera/lens/computer upgrade. Any advice is more than welcome.

Thank you.

It costs a minimum of $12K to get into the digital photo business, and likely closer to $20K for a good starter system for your home office.

There is excellent advice for beginners in the a special section on the Wedding Photography forum.

Yuo need to start buying photo books now and developing your own library.

Kinsey,

I'd either buy the Canon Rebel XT or the Canon 30D Digital SLR (DSLR)and the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens and just start taking pictures. The Canon 30D and the 50mm f1.8 will cost you $1500. The Rebel XT body is about $600 - $650 less in price. Save the rest of your money for now and learn to use the DSLR with a basic, but very sharp and inexpensive lens... the 50mm f1.8. You'll have fun with it, believe me. It's one of the great price/performance portrait lenses for only $80 and like I said, very sharp.

Then, come back here and read all the posts from years past about all the other lenses that might fit what you want to do and ask more questions.

There's a lot to learn, and there's no sense "loading" up on lenses until you learn the camera and composition of photograghy.

I hope this helps.

//Chuck

"It costs a minimum of $12K to get into the digital photo business, and likely closer to $20K for a good starter system for your home office."

She said that she just wants to learn, she isn't planning on going pro yet. Her budget will do just fine.

The best way is to just buy a camera, and devote yourself to the art. As for computer upgrades, you'd be amazed at just how much you can do, even with relatively old hardware, if the machine has enough RAM. For single-image processing, 512 megs is adequate, and a gig is quite plenty. There are occasions when I make Photoshop use 3 gigs, but it takes a lot of images or one VERY large image. You can always find ways to make Photoshop eat up more memory, but with just some basic RAM-saving techniques, it doesn't necessarily *have* to.

If I were in your position, and didn't already hav a camera, I'd buy a 20D, 30D, D70s, or a D200, and a 50mm f/1.8, and have fun practicing. Photography should always be fun!

steve

In addition to the equipment and books you will need, look into local adult evening courses in digital photography. These are often taught at community colleges, vocational-technical schools, community centers, and the like, and are generally inexpensive. Look also for camera clubs in your area.

Generally just about every new step you take will create new questions, and you'll want to be around people who can help answer them and also give you feedback on your work. Photography lends itself to group activity, and you'll make contacts with novices and pros and everybody in between who will help make a new hobby even more enjoyable. When you're ready to start thinking about going professional, you'll have plenty of contacts in your area.

Finally, you've come to the right place. Photo.net is an incredible community and resource for everything photographic. The Forums have questions and answers to just about everything you'll think to ask as a beginner or a pro. (Be sure to use the Search function before posting a question.) Visit the Gallery often and look at all the images you can in areas of interest such as Wedding and Social Event photography, and also check out other areas to see what inspires you. Read the critiques. Most are productive, some don't say much, but through them you'll gain a lot of insight into the difference between taking pictures and being a photographer.

I agree wholeheartedly with Mel, a class was best for me. Some things I just couldn't quite get from a book, and someone in the class would go "oh, yeah, just do this then that" and it became crystal clear

I seldom recommend high dollar systems, but it seems to me that the new Canon 30D and a 24-70L lens will cover most of your shooting for a lonnngggg time. Powerful desktop computers are ridiculously cheap(get a half gig of RAM at least, and a CRT monitor, tell the nice geek at the BestBuy you want one that will handle video games {for the graphics card}) Get the cheapest CF cards, at least 512MB size, they're usually on sale too.

For studio shooting, a Davis & Sanford Magnum tripod, and bob's your ruddy uncle

A final note on the subject of computers: If you have the space, get two CRT monitors and a video card that will support both to give you an extended desktop. This makes working in photoshop, and everything else for that matter, infinitely more convenient. Also, one of the cheap Wacom graphics tablets is simply awesome for retouching.

<I>Buy a B&J 4x5 press camera, three lenses, a tripod, a lightmeter, loads of film, and all the extras you like for $500</i><P>Add in the cost of a dedicated C-41 / E-6 lab and the value of your time doing re-shoots every time some lab rat drops a rack in din -n- dunk tank, and that $12K looks like a bargain. I've got less 1/4 that invested, and I could shoot weddings professionaly, if I wanted to, and includes a studio in my lof.<P>We seriously need a retard filter in the digital camera forum.

Scott, I agree with you entirely regarding the appropriate use of filters. Polarizers tend to give a polarized and biased view, as you demonstrated, but please tell me what a "retard filter" is, I'm simply waiting here with baited breath. Do you need a series 6 adapter for that? Whilst you're at it an appology would suffice.

I know what the digital camera forum is, and you know what a 4x5 camera is, I suspect. I know that film cameras don't belong in this forum, but to be quite honest.....I forgot!

So where's the harm in that?

Find any photo clubs in your area and join, learn from them, find some classes in your area, maybe a wedding photographers workshop to see if that is what you really want...The equipment is not that important at this stage. You could take pro shots with simpler cameras like the Canon Pro1 or similar to ease into it with less cost but still get pro results. Try the software that comes with your camera at first to see if it is usable for now while you learn. I use what came with my Canon camera and just use a bit of sharpening and cropping, minor color adjustments do it for me..Develop your composition skills and learn to see more photographically...

The Canon 30D is a great choice...I have the 20D. I would usually recommend the 17-40 f/4, great lens, but recently Canon has come out with some other versions of the wide to short telephoto, and they probably are worth looking at. Regardless, get at least one additional lense with a large aperture....f/2 or faster (meaning f/2, f/1.8, f/1.4, etc)....the 50mm f/1.8 is a nice inexpensive but decent lens....the 35mm f/2 is another good choice, albiet more expensive.

computer........well, don't know where you are now (you say "upgrade"). If you are buying new....I use a Dell with a 3gig processor, 2 gig of RAM with Photoshop CS2. Great set up for the money. Whatever you do, keep in mind money for storage. Digital photography requires a scheme set up for backing up and archiving image files. There are many threads here on that, and many schemes.....the best of which recommend multi format archive systems. Like DVD AND removable external hard drives.

And although, formal education as mentioned above is never a bad idea, the best teacher is going out and shooting. Shoot everyday, it doesn't have to be wedding/portrait oriented........just getting use to the camera is a good thing. Getting it to the point where it is an extension of your arm is the best education you can get. This way you will be ready for anything.

You will eventually need auxilliary lighting......flashes and what not........personally, I'd wait to buy these. Set ups worth buying are going to be expensive. It's not just a flash with high power, it's ETTL, flash brackets, extension cords, diffusion systems, auxilliary power (batteries only let you shoot so fast.......power packs will let you shoot extremely fast....in fact, so fast that overheating and melting down you flash unit CAN happen....you may not always want this speed, but....)........anyhow, you'de probably spend a fair chunk of your money on flash...i'd wait until you knew the camera itself a lot more before you went there

Steve said, "She said that she just wants to learn, she isn't planning on going pro yet. Her budget will do just fine."

This is true, however Kinsey also said she would like to (eventually) do weddings and portraits. It's good practice to lay out the whole project, then prioritize your purchases. In Ben's defense, $12K seems a little light and $20K more realistic. Considering the quality and work flow of digital photography, film is not commercially viable at this point in time, and becoming less so almost daily.

You have to start somewhere, and a camera and lens(es) are key elements. In any case, you are buying into a system. If you go with Canon or Nikon, you have well-established companies, likely to survive over the next 5 years. Each has a variety of mutually-compatible bodies and lenses, so you have a clear-cut upgrade path. For APS-sized digital (the only kind within your budget), you need a basic zoom lens in the 18-70mm range, and branch out from there. The least Canon or Nikon body will give images better than you could expect from 35mm film - more money means more features or more reliability. You will also need at least one shoe-mount flash made specifically for that camera (e.g., Nikon or Canon) to take full advantage of the synergism.

If you have a computer of at least 1.5GHz, your upgrade path might be to expand to at least 2G of RAM. You should have as much disk space as you can afford, at least 250GB, and more as time goes on. You also need a CD/DVD burner for archiving and transmittal. You should have Photoshop ($600) in your sights, but Photoshop Elements ($90) may work well enough to start. A monitor calibration system is essential for consistency and accuracy, starting at $250. A printer is nice, but optional. You can get good prints from a lab if you start with a good image file.

I'd second much of what Edward said. Nikon and Canon both are great systems and people argue back and forth over which is better. Get one or the other and you'll be in good shape. It's really which one feels better to you. AT this price range, I might give an edge to Nikon for it's well respected "kit lens" 18-70 DX zoom. It's a very versatile, useful lens, decent quality, and you'll need something that goes that wide to get decent wide angle shots on the smaller sensors of either the Canon or Nikons. Nikon probably has the edge in flash systems too. The sb600 is a good digital flash that you can use as a second strobe when you upgrade to an sb 800 down the road. I'd start with photoshop elements and graduate to photoshop proper when you can. One of the great aspects of digital photography is being able to output your own images, so I'd include a good photoprinter in your budget. Epsons are the standard for serious photographers, but HP and Canon are options. You can still get an Epson 1280 for around $300 which will allow you to print up to 13 by 19 inchess. It's a dye based printer so it doesn't have the longevity needed for pro work, but as a starter, it's a great printer for the money. It allows for "black only" printing which is great if you want to do B&W photography. Get at least 1GB RAM-2 is even better.

Paul

There have been some good responses in this thread, but I object to the suggestion of buying a 50mm as the sole lens. Sure, the average 50mm from the major manufacturers is a sharp and inexpensive lens. But I think the average beginner will get far more value from a decent zoom or 2-3 primes. Having a fast portrait lens as my only lens would drive me nuts but then again, it depends on what you shot.

larsbc

I would not recommend dropping $3500 on equipment until you acquire a bit of photographic knowledgs and skill first. Try purchasing a low cost manual film slr and lens on ebay. This is the way most students start out learning photography. Only after you have progressed a bit should you begin making a real investment in equipment. The type of photography you do will determine what equipment you purchase. For example, macro photography, landscape photography, studio photography all have their unique tools. Know what you really want to do before making an expensive investment.

Kinsey,

I started up my own business almost a year ago and haven't dropped $12k and am doing pretty well. (Keeping busy but, always learning!)

My investments:

Apple iMac computer (around $1,000+)

Nikon d70 SLR with kit lens(at the time as about $1,400)

Nikon d200 SLR ($1700)

Crappy cheap Nikon zoom was around $300 - don't waste your time or money on cheap glass.

So I upgraded to the 80-200 2.8 Nikkor lens and am very happy with it. This was around $900.

Custom Bracket Junior (Maybe around $120?)

SB600 flash (Around $150?)

Then I bought some lights, a backdrop and some backgrounds used from a photographer going out of business. If you can, look for a deal like that near you.

Photography expenses add up quickly. The technology has already changed so fast for me in one year that it's easy to want to spend a lot of money to keep up with what's new. Just buy equipment you're comfortable with and give it a go!

I'd be happy to offer advice. I don't even come close to knowing it all or claiming I do but I'm hear to try to help if needed!

Just drop me an email if you want!

Hope this helps a little!

Samantha Be

Kinsey,

Photo.net and your public library are two excellent sources from which to learn, because you can do it all at your own pace.

I found that taking the camera out into the world can give you

a new way of seeing. Take your camera out into situations which

are a challenge to you, ones which make you think and which drive you. If that means flowers in the mountains then do it, if it means assisting at weddings, do it, if it means taking porttraits of friends, do it.

I agree with Donald above about the nature of the beast. Unless you are very lucky making a good living in photography from scratch it will be difficult, but don't let that put you off. So may as well learn the many facets of the craft you choose. Be that with a DSLR, a Digital back and view camera, or whatever. There are many things to learn about, why limit yourself to the basics.

Art Haykin told me you can't make your own luck, and he is right.

He was lucky and made his way because he wanted to do it enough. Many people who have made it and look back over their careers say that if they had to they could make a living with an basic slr and a 50mm prime, tomorrow.

I'm a beginner.

Cheers.<div>00G2Zf-29411584.jpg.8dd74f430657c8bb9a6439e00cc622a7.jpg</div>

Kinsey,

What have you taken "hundreds of shots" with? If you already have a camera and lenses, then I'd suggest an entry-level DSLR from that same manufacturer because you'll likely be able to use your current accessories on it. I think a DSLR is excellent for learning exposure and composition (the two most important facets of photography in my opinion) because of the instant feedback and lack of technician interference in viewing the results. A fast zoom lens in the 28-80 range will probably suffice for most of your shooting, but I'd also go with something like a 100-300 and a 105mm macro. If I was forced to get rid of all of my lenses but one, I'd probably keep the 105mm macro (but I really enjoy close-up photography). When you are ready to get more serious, you can always upgrade equipment if you find it's necessary, but your entry-level DSLR can always serve as a nice backup. A good photographer can take entry level gear and make better photographs than a bad one with a $12,000 camera, no doubt about it.