Wesite opinions

ernest1

<p>I put this in the Business category mainly because I feel a website is a key tool to attracting new clients as well as keeping current ones in todays world of photographers. I have had this site for about 8 months and am happy with the layout but as I add more and more photos I cant help but feel its getting cluttered more and more. Im not so much looking for critique on the site itself but opinions and advice as how to better manage my catagories and photos within. I get stuck in the trap where I feel I need every single picture that I feel is worthy on the site and have trouble rotating a set number in each category in and out. I hate feeling like there is just too much in there and that a potential customer may feel overwhelmed by thumbing through images and just leave the site altogeher. As I am sure this happens regardless I would love some input on how others handle this and any other input that you feel adequate. Thanks in advance!<br>

<a href="http://www.ehgimages.com">www.ehgimages.com</a></p>

<p>Ernest Garver</p>

youre right, too much . . .if youre in business or you want to make a business out of photography you'll

have to get rid of all the subject matter that detracts from your business. It looks like you might be

making money on the portrait side so i'll just say go that rout with your site.

your banner shows three people images but then youre all over the map with your slideshow. If youre trying to get jobs though this site i recommend you split it - your nature is very distracting if i want to see your portrait work

(again assuming that is where youre trying to make the most of your money). Get rid of the wrecked cars, tunnel, frogs, architecture, flowers etc, and focus that site on what you do best, or at least what youre targeting - people (as is obvious by your three banner photos).

And take down that wedding shot where the bride and groom are walking out of the church holding

hands bubbles blowing. I would not care an ounce how good you really are if I saw that shot as one of

your best, I'd pass on you for my wedding. You really have to have their feet in a shot like that or it's a

throw away or crop. . . It tells me that you missed the shot, that is not a planned shot to cut off only a

part of the feet. . . It can be done - cut off feet - but that shot is clearly a miss. Too bad too cuz it's got

everything else and is very nice. And that baby shot where the eyes are way over processed, go back to the basics, it's a nice shot and does not need to be over done like that, the child looks unreal . . .

Make another site for your nature, architecture, etc. Beef up the portrait stuff and youre in business!

Tony

<p>Thanks Tony I appreciate your input. Ive been thinking about having the site only for my portrait work. I mainly do other prints through art shows and such and use the art shows as a means to show off just a few portraits trying to draw work in that way. I dont do weddings at all, those shots were at a few weddings ive been to shooting around the actual photographer. Time to sift and condense everything I suppose now. Thanks again!</p>

<p>Ernest</p>

<p>Yeah, I agree with Tony. You have an impressive range of skills in photography. But I'm not sure that photographers are hired because of their impressive range, but rather their demonstrated ability to get the shot of my [pick <strong>ONE</strong>]: wedding, portrait, sports league, fine art, etc. My educated <em>guess</em> is that you'll do better if you either decide to become one (maybe two) kind(s) of commercial photographer or if you have several websites that are devoted to a specific kind of photography. Baby pics and shots of railroad switching yards just don't belong together on a commercial website. (IMO, of course.)</p>