Well defined sctaches on Contax 645 negatives

Discussion in 'Medium Format' started by Jean-Claude, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Good morning,

I attach here 2 negatives where you may see 1 colored scratch (!) on 1 negative and 2 scratches on the second one: a black one(left side) and a white one. When there are 2 scratches, the distance between both seem to be equal. Photos taken with a 80mm f2 Zeiss lens.

Your explanations are most wellcome!

well defined straight scratches1.jpg

View attachment 1 scratch but fujia color.jpg

2. I notice now that on some negatives, there are 2 scratches, always at the same places.
    on other negatives, from another roll, there is only one, always located more or less in the middle, like the one below: scratch in the middle (002).jpg

3. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

If you turn the camera through 90 degrees, do the scratches then run horizontally ? If so, all I can think of is some kind of roughness in the film transport mechanism. Can you feel the scratches on the actual negatives if you pass your finger over them ? This might suggest emulsion damage. HTH

4. Good question, but no I can't see nor feel the scratches! They are so thin. Strange, very strange

5. Does the film transport through the camera in the same direction as those lines ? If it does, the film is probably getting scratched by grit on the film pressure plate

6. Yes but despite a close look at the pressure plate and the insert in general, I can't feel nor see any tiny thing that could scratch the negative. I checked that before posting of course.

7. Did you squeegee the film ? Even careful squeegeeing can still scratch film

jpcalma likes this.
  8. Smoothly between my fingers as I do with 24x36.
    Moreover, the lines are very straight, perfectly straight. And then, why 1 long scratch or 2 scratches with an exact same distance between the 2?

9. It looks like a scanning artefact to me. A single speck of dust on the scanner sensor would do it.

BTW, looking at the camera pressure plate is useless. There's a layer of backing paper between the pressure plate and the film. If they really are camera scratches on the film, they'll be from the gate or guide rollers, but they look like scanner tracks to me.

Ed_Ingold and Jean-Claude like this.
  10. Do you see the scratches on the negative? If so, invest in an out of date roll of film and run it through the camera to see if you can track down the source of the scratch. Rodeo Joe's scanner suggestion is great. I never would have thought of that.

11. You can't see it with a naked eye, you need a magnifying glass. The scratches are really very thin.

If you look at the 1st negative above (the trees), how comes 1 scratch is black, the other one white?

12. This is a big crop. You can see 2 scratches: a big black one on the left side in the water and a much discreter one on the right side (see the stone) 2 scratches,.jpg

13. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Are the hairs and dust on the original neg, or are they from the scan ? If the latter, maybe the scanner needs attention.

14. Your first image actually has four lines, two black and two white. It needs to be expanded to see the other two and they don't run the full depth of the neg but one is just to the right of prominent black line, and the other is just to the right of the prominent white line

Was the film 120 or 220 ?

15. 120

16. You won't believe it but I just discover that on 1 negative, there is absolutely nothing to see on the emulsion even with a magnifying glass. So, the straight line almost in the middle must come from the scan but then, why not at all times, sometimes yes, sometimes no?

Why is this line not on all the negatives? Why do the others have 2 lines and at another place in the picture?

I go crazy.

17. it doesn't happen with 24x36 negatives, never. Nothing!

18. 120 film rules out scratches from the camera so perhaps as Joe said it's from the scanner. Which scanner is it, it's age, and what is the software ? Multi Sampling might make those lines disappear. If your scanner supports Multi Sampling, you could set it a "2" to start with and see what happens

19. my scanner is Epson V600 Photo

20. Here's a link ... Epson V600 glass cleaning. . .

You may have to do some cleaning to the internals of the scanner. The above link will get you started but not how to do the complete job you will likely have to do

Dust and pollution gets on scanner mirrors, lenses and sensors over time and needs cleaning off. If those components remain dirty, scans will suffer

Jean-Claude likes this.