Weird green tint in Fuji MS100-1000.

I got my developed slide back from the lab and something weird

happened to it.

The film seems "correctly" exposed, but with lower contrast and with

a green tint.

The edge of the film, that was supposed to be completely black, is a

dark green. The shadows of the image don't have detail and are not

black either. They also have the green tint.

The entire film is not in the same 'greenish' level. The first part

has more evident tint. Some frames are unevenly green; the top and

bottom of the image have more tint and the center has less.

There are some frames that are the opposite: They are visibly

MAGENTA. The "magenta" frames are between "green" frames.

Finally the question: What the hell happened with my film? Is this

lab's fault? The film was expired but I already used film expired

this much before with no problems.

The film is a Multi Speed film that was supposed to be used in the

100-1000 ISO range. I used it at ISO 400 and informed the lab.

Well, this never happened before and I used to trust this lab but I

don't know anymore.

I hope someone can enlighten me.

I believe that film's been discontinued for a while. Is it expired stock? Reason I ask is I bought a bunch of bulk loaded Velvia that was expired but supposedly stored well. 9/10 rolls were fine but every once a while one would come back as you describe----and I think it was my fault: if I did not get it processed within a few days of exposure they would come back green as you describe.

Could be the lab. Most likely the film, although I've been using up my bulk roll of Fuji MS

100/1000 from ages ago, cold stored then left in the bulk loader for a couple of years and

it seems ok. The rolls shot at 100 seem a little magenta but when I pushed it 1 stop it

turned out more red with yellow, actually quite a nice look to it, slightly warm that helped

the overcast I shot in. I'll be using it up tommorrow, BTW I think that the times for the MS

100/1000 pushes MAY be different than standard E-6 pushes, you might want to tell the

lab which film it is.

Marcio;

It could be a variety of problems.

1. Bad film from the factory.

2. Fogged film with green safelight.

3. Bad process - not enough reversal exposure or other fault.

4. Expired or overheated film, ie bad keeping either by the store or by you.

If the film was not expired, and you kept it well, then someone owes you compensation for the fault.

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Ron Mowrey

Hmm, I see.

Well, I had been keeping it in the refrigerator. Can't say about the store that sold me the film, but as I pointed, I used some film that I bought in the same ocassion and those turned out ok.

Couldn't the uneven tint over the film be an indication of some more specific problem? Fogging, bad development?

I suppose that if the film was in bad conditions it would be equally ugly, right?

What about the rare magenta frames among the sea of greeness? What could explain that?

Cheers.

Could the film have gotten wet, possibly with condensation when you removed it from the refrigerator? Wet or damp film can sometimes explain why there are uneven color shifts from one end of the roll to the other.

Another problem which can cause uneven color shifts within a roll is poor agitation (or excessive agitation) in one of the E-6 developers.

Since MS100-1000 is push processed +2 stops when used at EI 400, problems with developer agitation might be especially pronounced. That can lead to low d-max, such as the greenish edges outside the frame areas that you observed.

Or, a "keeping problem" such as Ron Mowrey mentioned, could be exaggerated due to the push processing.

Hope this helps.

It surely helps.

"...That can lead to low d-max, such as the greenish edges outside the frame areas that you observed". It is exactly what I observed; low d-max.

The film was not in the freezer, just on the refrigerator and I let it out at room temperature in it's plastic case one day before using it.

Well, I spoke with the laboratorist and he explained to me that it wasn't a problem with developing and why. Actually the film was developed together with a slide from another customer and it came out perfect.

So eliminating the factors I guess the conclusion is that the film was expired.

Sad ending.

Well, thanks everyone for the help. I really appreciated.