Wednesday was bad day for photo gear...

It was one of those days, full of promise just before the wheels fell off. Went out hiking with a new friend of the opposite gender when I

stumbled and my Nikon with12-24 attached swung around and smacked against a boulder, thankfully the hood which I'd attached

absorbed the impact and shattered. Ugh could have been worse, so now I need to find a new hood, no biggie. Things went better until we

got back to the parking place where I discovered that someone got into my rig and took my camera bag. I am pretty frugal and don't have a

huge arsenal of gear as I really only keep around what I use. That means nearly everything except what was on my shoulder was lost.

Four lenses, a Canon eos-m with its nice little 22mm lens, flash, a double sided reflector, a diffuser, miscellaneous filters... All gone.

I was dumbass for having all my gear in one place and not securing it better, so I'm not going to rage about people doing what they so

often do, I knew better.

So now the rebuilding, lots of things to think about. If I simply replaced all the gear I lost item for item, I'm talking around $1,800 -

not nearly as much as some people would have lost but still not anything to sneeze at. But, I've been thinking of going totally mirrorless,

or even moving up to FF so maybe now is the time to really think hard about those options. Of my lost lenses only two will be really

missed - The Tokina 50-135 f/2.8 and my ancient Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro. I found myself using the nifty 50 and the 18-70 less and

less as those were more than adequately covered by the 50-135. I've been trying to get by with a two lens kit on most trips these days, the

WA zoom and the short tele-zoom seem to fit the bulk of my needs. So, I can probably retool my kit pretty easily, the hard part is really

deciding what direction to take that.

I guess I'm trying to turn a pigs ear into the proverbial silk purse here and emphasize the opportunity for change and think pretty clearly

about what my shooting needs and goals are. The lesson about securing my stuff is also well ingrained now!