Wednesday Landscapes, 4 April 2018

Leslie Reid

You are invited to upload one or more of your landscape photos and, if you’d like, to accompany your image with some commentary: challenges you faced in making the image? your intent for the image? settings? post-processing decisions? why you did what you did? the place and time? or an aspect you’d like feedback on? And please feel free to ask questions of others who have posted images or to join the discussion. If you don’t feel like using words, that’s OK too—unaccompanied images (or unaccompanied words, for that matter) are also very much welcomed. As for the technicalities, the usual forum guidelines apply: files < 1 MB; image size <1000 px maximum dimension.

Just before a winter sunrise at one of my favorite beaches, near Trinidad, CA. Pre-sunrise colors always surprise me.

D02-_MG_8548.thumb.jpg.df6fdb70ca306bb9b899ecda2c30fd25.jpg

• Like 3

Leslie, I love the soft pastels of your early-morning light. I'll go color with you, but will provide a counterpoint from later on in the day when the light was much stronger and colors bolder. This is also along the California coast, though closer to the central coast, in Half Moon Bay. Early spring offers the one brief time of year along the rolling, coastal hills for color, between the greens brought on by winter rains and the browns brought on by the summer sun.

half-moon-bay-2-sky-2-w.thumb.jpg.9ef07d30ec506e1b05ba7dd9b83725aa.jpg

• Like 5
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Since a front was going through (hence the rough surf) well, that pretty much killed any chance for a nice colorful sunset over Grand Haven Beach. I went the other direction, grabbed a few shots, and hoped for some nice monochrome tonality in post. Spent the rest of time in the waves with the other crazy nitwits getting our brains knocked around. Minor tone map in the sky to bring out detail, but fairly straight from ACR.

bluster.thumb.jpg.eaa454e08f3c0eda489aa3c3a7e7a3f4.jpg

• Like 5