Wedding photography.... 50mm 1.4 lens??

holly_goyea

<p>"Hello" Everyone,<br>

As a beginner at photography, I read through the forums on a regular basis looking for answers to my questions before posting one. 99.9% of the time I find my answer.... "Thanks" to all of you WONDERFUL photographers!! I do sincerely appreciate all that you have done for me!!<br>

My question is..... Most photographers recommend 70-200mm f2.8 and 50mm 1.4 lenses to use for wedding photography.... I understand how and why one would use a 70-200mm f2.8 but when would you use the 50mm 1.4? One would have to get real close to the subjects in order to use this lens right? I was asked to join a photographer on a up coming wedding and I have this lens but not sure how to apply it at a wedding??<br>

This will be my first wedding any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!<br>

Thank you :)<br>

Holly</p>

<p>First, it depends on the camera you're using. If you're using a cropped-sensor camera (rather than a full-frame 35mm film body, or something like a D700 or 5D2), then a 50mm lens is going to give you a full-length standing human in a vertically oriented shot from a little over 15 feet away. You'd have to get farther than that if you're shooting a group, with the camera in a horizontal orientation... more like 20+ feet. In many social shooting venues, you'll never have that much room to work.<br /><br />But if you're working on face/torso shots while being close enough to actually talk to your subjects, then 50mm is a pretty good length. And that f/1.4 will give you good low-light abilities (if you don't mind the resulting very thin depth of field), and it will (the other side of the coin, here) give you excellent <em>creative</em> control over DoF. <br /><br />So, if you're walking a room and shooting middle-distance candids where you want to keep a busy background nicely out of focus, you've got a great tool in a 50/1.4. And stopped down, with plenty of light to work with, you'll find it's a nice sharp short portrait-style lens. <br /><br />Obviously, you can mount the lens right now, and point it at something the height of a human (say, a hat rack or a broom or something) and see exactly how far you need to get from your subject for different sorts of framing with that lens.</p>

<p>I believe a lot depends on your style of photography.</p>

<p>I do have a 50mm f1.4 and will use it during a wedding. My primary lens that I use the majority of the time for a wedding is the 24-70 f2.8 lens on a Canon 5D.</p>

<p>If you see pictures with a lens you don't have but you want to have it, maybe renting one might help you determine if the results are what you want.<br /> <br /> Hope this helps you!<br /> <br /> Have a great time photographing at the wedding!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I always carry a fast 50mm lens for weddings and events, even if I don't use it for most photos. But since I grew up using only the "normal" focal length for any format (50mm or so for 35mm film, 80mm for medium format), the focal length feels natural to me.</p>

<p>Any fast, middling focal length prime is excellent for available light candids, which suits the photojournalism style of wedding and event photography. And that's the only style I'm remotely competent at!</p>

<p>You do need to be comfortable with getting close to people to use any lens shorter than a moderate telephoto. But that's part of the challenge to any sort of event photography. It can't all be done as a long range sniper.</p>

<p>Whatever lens you plan to use, start practicing with it now, around the house or wherever you go. Practice on family and friends. Or go to public events such as carnivals or outdoor arts fairs where there are lots of people who won't find the presence of a camera objectionable. It may seem awkward at first. And your awkwardness will often be picked up by your subjects who in turn will feel uncomfortable. But as you gain confidence photographing at close range, your confidence will be picked up by your subjects and they'll be more relaxed and photogenic.</p>

<p>I'm "Sorry", My camera is a Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D. The CCD sensor is smaller than a 35mm film frame, the effective focal length of any lens used on the 7D is increased by 1.5x.<br>

If I did this right..... the 50mm lens will look like a 75mm lens. "Thank Goodness" for owners manuals!! :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p >The main reason why I would recommend a 50F/1.4 for a Wedding kit is because it is F/1.4, not necessarily because it is FL=50mm. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Often I have recommended that a fast 30mm or 35mm Prime would be a better, if the choice were limited to only one fast Prime lens. Such would be the case here, as you have a KM7D: a 30mm or 35mm gives about a normal field of view on that camera.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The main reason why I recommend a Fast Prime for the Wedding Kit is to ensure one is covered for the Ceremony, when there is a NO FLASH RULE.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >The main reason why I recommend (as a first choice) a Prime of about a normal filed of view is so one is covered if the venue is small; the wedding party is large; the aisles are short; children are in the Wedding Party or any combination thereof. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >A fast Prime with a Normal Field of View can be utilized, in a pinch, to make Shallow Depth of Field portraits, both Half Shot and Full Length. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >A short telephoto (such as a 50mm on an APS-C body like yours) or an 85mm on a “Full Frame” camera, can often be too long – the Photographer cannot step backwards through a wall in a small space, but usually can always take a closer vantage point in a large area.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I am not one of those who recommends the 70 to 200 as a “must have Wedding Lens”. I certainly acknowledge that many Wedding Photographers make good use of that lens. It is important to have lenses which suit one’s style, product and sales objectives, not just to copy what others do. It is also important when taking note of what lenses high profile, successful, experienced or competent Wedding Professionals use, to take equal note of what the camera formats are, on which those lenses are being used: it is interesting what that reveals. It is not a suitable question just to ask, “Do you use a 70 to 200, often, at Weddings?”</p>

<p > </p>

<p >If, however, one decides that a 70 to 200 zoom is required for a wedding Kit, then it is my firm opinion that it should be an F2.8 lens and it should have Image Stabilization, Vibration Reduction or equivalent.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >***</p>

<p ></p>

<p >Specifically, as you are assisting on this wedding, you can take advantage of your 50mm lens being a short telephoto two suggestions: make creative Shallow DoF Portraits and capture some available light shots during the Ceremony, I think you will find you do not have to be that close, especially for Full Length shots. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW</p>

<p>I know that shooting styles have changed a bit with more of a reportage feel being requested now but my father spent many years doing weddings with a Rolleiflex. This has a fixed 80mm lens which is equivalent to using 50mm on a 35mm camera or full frame sensor camera so it is possible.</p>