Wedding Photographer Promotion....Postcard

wistler

if this is for weddings, don't have anything except for weddings onthe.

sure - you may be able to do all sort of gigs, but people don't like a jack of all trades when it comes to weddings. they feel most comfortable w/ the perception that you do weddings only, at least for marketing purposes.

I do a few other types of events, but my website is geared toward weddings.

I recommend taking away anything that isn't wedding related on this postcards.

Just a thought...when I wanted a one-size-fits-all card to hand out and was struggling with this same issue someone suggested using a picture of myself looking all friendly and approachable. The thinking was that they would feel a bit of a connection with me and my hunch is that's why people hire a photographer (do you agree?). Now my card doesn't mention anything about what I do and I can give it to a Mum who wants baby pics as well as an engaged couple. It certainly cut down costs (having to print 2 or 3 versions of my cards) and avoided the jack-of-all-trades look as well.

Another local photographer uses a double sided card with family on one side and wedding on the other. Seems to work quite well for her.

As a general comment, not meant to apply to any specific example above, it's been my experience (from years in both marketing and photography) that photographers are typically neither skilled graphic designers nor copywriters. In the interest of sparing the budget, marketing materials, such as self-promotional postcards, are produced as a function of ego rather than as a tool that has been thoughtfully conceived to achieve a specific marketing goal (implying considerations of who you are trying to reach, what message or image do you want to convey, is it consistent with whatever previous "branding" has preceded it ... etc., etc.).

If this is truly your business, and unless you have a definite talent in the design area, I heartily suggest making an investment

in the talents of a professional to help with the promotional materials.

Here are some things that jump out at me:

1) Like several others have mentioned, if your photography is "About You" then you need to put images of people on your postcards.

2) I totally agree with the montage idea.

3) What are you using on the second side? Half is for the address, but the other half of it is up for grabs.

4) Put your name on the card. Make it more personal than just your phone number, URL and e-mail address.

5) Offer a special. "This card is your opportunity to save 10%!" This gives you another way to track how many people are coming to you because they received the card versus your website or other marketing effort.