Wedding Dilemma

simon_hickie1

I've just been booked to do my first wedding for a couple of years, and so have a dilemma on whether to (a) either

upgrade / sideways move from my D80 to something more predictable on the metering front (D300 or D200) or (b)

add some faster glass (Tamron 17-50 springs to mind + a 90mm or 105mm prime).

Indeed, for the price of the D300, I could get a lightly used D200 and a new Tamron 17-50mm and have change left

over. In either case, I'd keep the D80 as backup until after the event. On the lens front, I'd probably be using the 18-

70mm, - a touch slow I know, and / or 28-105mm nikkors plus the 70-210 nikkor for long shots if I made no changes.

I have a flash bracket & bounce flash adaptors plus an SB600 (could also benefit from more flash power).

It's a Sikh wedding (just like my last one), so it will be colourful and fast moving (& noisy). The emphasis on these

kind of weddings tends to be more on capturing who was there for sharing with friends & family (often overseas) and

on the feel & colour of the event rather than on a more stylised or 'artistic' approach. In fact one of the really positive

things from the previous wedding was that people were delighted that they had photographs of themselves that they

did not realise had been taken (with a 70-210 lens).

I'm going to have to accept that the D80 replacement will not be available in time (wedding is in mid September), so

have to work with what's available now.

Suggestions / experiences welcome!

I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the D80 metering system. You just have to know how it works. It tends to be center-weighted - so set it to center-weighted to begin with, and just use proper metering technique based on that. Invest in the glass, IMO.

I see no real need for a new DSLR. Get another flash, like a SB-800, better glass, like a 85mm f1.8, or a faster zoom with the focal length that you need the most. If you do not have a 50mm f 1.8, I would add it too. Add a D 300 when your budget allows it. It is a fantastic camera. Keep the D 80 as a backup. You wil be amazed how much easier it is to do weddings with two bodies w/o the need to change lenses. Joe Smith

get a 50mm f1.8 and an 85mm f1.8, those 2 lens' have saved me more then once in low light situations... I would keep the D80 you have and either get another one or get a D200 or D300 as soon as you can. Personally, the ideal setup would be 2 bodies, 1 with a 17-50 f2.8 (or comparable) and a second body with either an 85mm f1.8 or a 80-200 f2.8 or even better a 70-200 f2.8 VR. I would carry the 50mm in a bad or jacket pocket and depending on the event, i wide angle just in case. Flash' stay on the cameras and i have an extra one in the other pocket or bag.