Web site design cost?

Hosting costs are easy to find on the Net with a simple search. Design costs will vary a great deal, depending

on the co., and how extensive a site you want.

If you choose the same co. to design AND host, I'd guess they'll charge you more to host, than it costs them.

We might better answer your question if you indicated the nature of your business / site..

Be advised that some site designers are not the best search engine optimizers. You do want your site to bring

traffic from search engines I presume. You can have a great looking site, with all the buzzers and whistles, but

if you get no traffic, you've wasted your money. Deriving significant traffic from search engines (when there

are lots of competitors already doing the same thing) takes time, knowledge, and lots of work.

When I used to moonlight as a web designer, I ususally charged *at least* $200 per site. FWIW, a simplified version of Photo.net (no subscription and no ads) would have pushed it to *maybe* $1000.

A simple formula for that would be to assess how many man-hours it would take for you/your team, multiply it by tje average of your hourly wages at work, add your specific margins (50% is what I used then), then apply taxes if necessary. So, if you make (for simple multiplication reasons) $10/hr and it would probably take you 160 hours to build the entire site (that's 8hrs a day, 20 working days), that's going to end up as 10x160+50%=$2400 without taxes.

You are right Gordon. I did miss the point. I realized it after posting my response. The headline of your post threw me and I just breazed over the actual question. With my points in mind though, you might charge more for a site if you know how to, and plan to effectively promote it, as opposed to simply making it look nice.

The means and demands of your clients should be a big factor in your price.

I know a person who does webdesign.

$1100 for a site total is the average according to him.

Around $250 for consultation and conceptualization; Around $500 for design; $250 for optimization and search engine submission; And $100 for hosting.

I think he says he charges around $40 - $50 an hour for his time.