Watercolor paper for digital prints

atlatling

Can someone tell me about durability of prints using watercolor paper rather

than paper made specifically for digital photographs? I've seen some

beautiful finishes using this medium, but only with smaller 8X10 prints. I

have a photo that I would like to have printed on 13X19 or 16X20 watercolor

paper. Also, will the larger printers accept such paper? Will I be wasting

my time and money? Many thanks.

I think watercolor paper is great. It given a nice texture and look. The local pro lab that I have done mine at sprays some type of fixative on the print after completion. All of my watercolor prints have been framed, and are behind glass. None are in direct sun, but most are in an office with constant fluorescent lights. One year later they look fine.

The paper that was used was called Museo, I assume one brand of watercolor paper.

I haven't done it in a while, but I was printing on water color paper using an HP Deskjet

932C, a dye, ink jet printer. The prints looked great. Some how it seems that ink jet

printers and water color papers were made for each other. When you visit an art supply

store you'll find many kinds of paper to choose from. While there ask what, if any, the

water color artists use to spray for protection. I spray my regular (dye) ink jet prints with

two light coats of Glossy Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating.

--Roger

I believe that you need to use a "watercolor paper" that is made for inkjet printers. There has

to be a special coating in the paper for the ink to work other wise it comes out too flat.

Many famous brands of traditional watercolor paper are available for inkjet. Like Sommerset

Velvet, but is has to be "enhanced" which means it is for ink jet.

hahnemuehle is another traditional paper maker that has special ink jet papers.

Somerset Velvet "Enhanced" is just one of five different Somerset Velvet Papers. "Enhanced" does not mean it is for inkjet, it is just a name.

All watercolor papers for inkjet must have a receptor coating, as mentioned above. If you use watercolor paper without a coating, you must first apply a coating so that it will work with inkjet.

Working with watercolor papers is more difficult than other inkjet papers. They have a tendency to shed from the surface and they don't work with as many images as something like a lustre or glossy paper. It takes time to learn this.

Regarding printer compatibility, some are too thick for standard sheet feed and require a flat feed. Less expensive printers often don't have this capability.

Regarding paper size, the paper is generally manufactured in wide rolls and cut down to size, so that is not an issue.