Wanted: donation of enlarger

I'm not sure if this is a proper post. I looked but can't find

anything about this. Sorry if this turns out to be an inappropriate

post.

I used to develop and print my own black & white starting in 1975.

I've regained an interest in B&W photography this past year, after I

had to be retired due to being on kidney dialysis. I have a very

small monthly disability benefit. I've managed to use some prior

savings for a camera and a couple of lenses (all consumer grade), and

I have a Paterson tank. What I don't have, and will not be able to

afford for years to come, if ever, is an enlarger. With the move to

digital by many, if anyone has a working enlarger and easel that they

would be willing to just donate if they can't sell it, I would be

eternally greatful.

I sincerely hope someone will come through for you, but you must also consider the up-front costs of the other things you'll need in the way of equipment and consumables such as timers, safelights, trays, tongs, a grain magnifier, paper and chemicals, etc. It would be great if someone could also include some of these in their donation to get you started. Good luck.

Are you from the Montréal area by any chance? I'm a member of a dedicated B&W photo club that has 12 enlargers and stuff in a dark room. Being a member (65 dollars a year or so) gives you unlimited access to all these treasures. Not to mntion the conferences, workshops etc, some of which are very interesting.

Pierre,

If you can't find someone who can donate a darkroom setup, you may want to consider spending the remaining summer Saturday mornings going around to yard sales.

I'm also setting up a darkroom on a very limited budget (haven't had one for about 10 years) and I was looking in the newspaper, on ebay, estate sales, etc, without finding anything in my price range. I then started getting up early on Saturdays and visiting garage sales in my area. Early in August, on my third such venture, I found a Saunders LPL 6x7 enlarger with dial-in contrast, nikkor 50 enlarging lens, tanks, trays, and everything else a darkroom needs (except a timer), all in excellent condition. I bought the lot for $120! That's probably not a whole lot more than shipping for a free enlarger from out of town. Perhaps I was lucky, but it might be worth a try.

I hope you find an enlarger,

Aaron