W/NW Pic-O'-The-Week #3

And I should add, Allen Herbert, tell us about that shot. Where was it done? If only the little girl was at the start of the frame - most people scan from right to left. But I'm quibbling, well done. It's good, very good. I haven't been able to photograph this week - doing my pretend study routine, and will for the next few months. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

"Allen Herbert, tell us about that shot. Where was it done? If only the little girl was at the start of the frame - most people scan from right to left" Arthur.

It was a candid photo, Arthur. Most candid photos, particularly of people and events are subject to a composition which in a sense is allowed.. By allowed I mean a candid photographer does not set the scene of the photograph they interact with it. A choice of composition is limited; the composition is mostly chosen by the subject matter/events and the input of the photographer is merely a observer.

"most people scan from right to left" Arthur."

True, but let us not be limited to a singular view of a photograph otherwise we will be creating a rule book for all to follow. The majority of greats had a tendency to throw rule books into the mud only deemed worthy of something to tread on.

Edited by Allen Herbert

Rick_van_Nooij, that's a good shot. I have not asked you where you do this photography. And why. Let me know. Got to say, again, that is a good shot. I may have asked you before, and you may have answered, and told me.

Point taken, and taken well, Allen Herbert. My quibbling does not detract from your good shot. Bravo. I've called on Martin Heidegger's ideas of language calling before. Those ideas can be extended to other forms of representation. Your image does call, as many other viewers note and appreciate. And I got it wrong, anglo's scan from left to right. You should have pulled me up on that, Allen Herbert. I have not been able to photograph this week. Study intrudes, and overwhelms, at times.

Got to say, Stric, you are blessed with a 'model'. Great shot. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

This particular photo was taken at the John S. Thompson Bridge near the city of Grave in the Netherlands during the annual "The Battle for the 11th Bridge" living history event.

The event commemorates Operation Market Garden in September 1944 when elements of the 82nd US Airborne Division took the bridge.

http://www.flibweb.nl/flibweb/cpg154/albums/userpics/10001/MG180904.jpg

Same event, same setup, yet in color.

I need to clean the haze out of that Elmar someday.

• Like 4

"Allen Herbert, tell us about that shot. Where was it done? If only the little girl was at the start of the frame - most people scan from right to left" Arthur.

It was a candid photo, Arthur. Most candid photos, particularly of people and events are subject to a composition which in a sense is allowed.. By allowed I mean a candid photographer does not set the scene of the photograph they interact with it. A choice of composition is limited; the composition is mostly chosen by the subject matter/events and the input of the photographer is merely a observer.

"most people scan from right to left" Arthur."

True, but let us not be limited to a singular view of a photograph otherwise we will be creating a rule book for all to follow. The majority of greats had a tendency to throw rule books into the mud only deemed worthy of something to tread on.

Yes, you are right. And, it was a good candid photo. I know, you see your chance and take it. Photography is like that. Well chastised. And I got it wrong, anglos scan from left to right. It's semitic readers, I think, do it from right to left. A poster here may correct me, and to be honest, I would enjoy correction about that. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1). I haven't photographed this week. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

Allen Herbert. Thank you for asking. I miss 'moving on's images. I think we may have hurt or offended him. I miss him. If you are there, moving on, keep posting.

Why study. I have studied since I left high school. To your question about motivation: when do we stop searching for knowledge.

I have one subject to do to finish my post grad diploma in theology. The subject is koine greek. It's a challenge. I'm old. Allen Herbert, my memory is shot.

Thank you and regards. I hope to post images soon. Allen Herbert, you have been a steady voice on this site. Regards.

Allen Herbert. Thank you for asking. I miss 'moving on's images. I think we may have hurt or offended him. I miss him. If you are there, moving on, keep posting.

Why study. I have studied since I left high school. To your question about motivation: when do we stop searching for knowledge.

I have one subject to do to finish my post grad diploma in theology. The subject is koine greek. It's a challenge. I'm old. Allen Herbert, my memory is shot.

Thank you and regards. I hope to post images soon. Allen Herbert, you have been a steady voice on this site. Regards.

You have my sympathies on learning Greek--I had a hard time at 18... Best of luck on that, though