W/NW - Bokeh, good and bad

studor13

Andy,

The renditions of the out-of-focus areas in your images is quite beautiful, especially the smooth and creamy rendition of the colors. I have that same lens and am now stimulated to try to use it more in this fashion.

However I must add that none of these images shows a typical example of bokeh; at least the narrower definition of this term as I understand it. It relates to the rendition of specular or other distinct highlights in the out-of-focus areas, their shape and uniformity of illumination.

Andy,

The bokeh is nice but the focused areas are not sharp enough and that makes the effect of the smooth bokeh not as effective.

In general, a smooth bokeh is great but what makes the bokeh truly stands out is that the focused areas are razor sharp. That's the key in focused-based contrast.

Here's the bokeh (aka "Brokeh" on one web site) from a Nikkor-P f/2.5 105mm non AIS mounted on a Canon 20D. Some people claim this lens is one of the finest Nikon ever made. I also use it on a Nikon F, a Nikkormat EL and a Nikkormat FTn.<div>00OcNA-42020284.jpg.7f292f3a90d60ffe9ad3634d3654ef21.jpg</div>

Mike and Arthur, thank you for your thoughts and input. I'm not a bokeh guru and I see from a few others what you mean.

I won't name names but many of the above are simply outstanding.

Might have to put that 85mm f1.4 on the NAS list.