"Voyeuristic" street photographs

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by jared_angle, Jan 23, 2010.

1. I recently have been dabbling into some more street shooting in addition to my portrait work, and have been doing some walks through the city late at night. Not focusing on people or things on the street, but rather peeking in through business windows, like bars, restaurants, coffeeshops, arcades, etc. I used my kit zoom at ranges from 85-135mm, on Neopan 1600, hoping for some grainy photos that effectively capture the mixed, moody lighting of these establishments. I haven't gotten around to developing any of this yet, but will be this tuesday and wednesday in the darkroom.
    Does anybody have images of a similar nature that they have shot, to share for inspiration or theory?

2. [​IMG]

I try sneek shhhh! Book shop window.

3. These two are great! I've though of the bookstore before but there weren't people by the window when i was there, I shall try again. As for the barbershop, that's a great idea! I might also try some of the pastry shops downtown too.

4. Like that shot, Barry... didn't you post that one about 2 years ago? Good to see it again...
    00VaTf-213291584.jpg

5. Here's another one taken from the 2nd floor of the Boston Public Library...
    00VaTi-213293584.jpg

6. did Fi. I still don't know how it happened though.

7. After a few hard hours 'working the street' I found this pub, went in, ordered a drink and found a nice quiet corner seat to chimp/check out what I had caught. I had the camera on the table and pictured this scene right in front of me in the next booth....
    00VaXt-213361584.jpg

8. Great thread... gives me some ideas. No pictures for me to post... yet!

--Marc

9. [​IMG]
    Through the open door of a bar in Ventura, California​

10. I love that one, Clive.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. sbp

sbp

12. Early morning in a local coffee shop getting ready to open.
    00Vap7-213569784.jpg

13. Sorry, fist time I do this. Here's the picture.

14. Lets see if this works. [​IMG]

15. Gabriela I puts this. (center)(b)(img src="")(br)(br) (/center)(/b)
    Puts picture in quote. puts text after (br)(br)
    use ( ) = <>
    Or in reply click tiny picture of tree, insert you image.
    hope helps!

16. bms

bms

mine
    00VaqY-213583584.jpg

17. I will be ready as soon as I get my shoes on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. I will be ready as soon as I get my shoes on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    00Var2-213587584.jpg

19. I am getting these Shoes but I will be late for our dinner...you can see why.

20. [​IMG] That's me?
    00Varh-213591584.jpg

21. TLR's are great for shots from a table top. Here's one of mine.

22. Rookie posting error

23. At first my attention was grabbed by the red tomatoes in the red window, and then I realized that the people in the kitchen added an interesting story
    00Vavg-213629584.jpg

24. My Personal Opinion Only:
    If these shots were taken without the victim knowing you did so and then posted on here, by the looks of some of the people you may have to bend over to bruh your teeth providing you still have a few left. Trying those shots in many cities will get you a few bullets or knives in your body in today's today free of charge--if you are lucky, you will only get sued for invassion of the person's privacy. i have too much to loose to risk taking these types of shots in Canada or the USA. I ask first and get a signed release for anything I sell or display just to be safe. It may be legal in some countries and if it is--I want that in writing, not verbal.

25. If it's in the public, then your safe. ..you guys know the deal..Garry

26. Dejan,
    If those buildings are public places, why not try be in one of them after the place of business is closed without the owner's permission as the polce respond to a silent alarm. Try telling that joke to to business owner and police about it being public property. I do know the difference between public and private property--Do You?

27. [​IMG]
    Michael J Hoffman

28. This was actually an experiment in manual focus bracketing I did several years ago.
    00Vay5-213653584.JPG

29. Oh Garry, Garry, Garry... If you have too much to lose then don't take these kinds of pictures. I appreciate you looking out for us, but, really, old man, you shouldn't lose sleep on our account.
    00Vayx-213661584.jpg

30. For Gary Mansfield (and others) -- a useful general guide addressing legal considerations of photos in public places in the U.S. is found here, on this lawyer's site. Both a one-page summary and a handbook are available:
    http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
    Note: Not all public places are the same. In some public places -- a toilet stall in a public restroom, for example -- one has a reasonable expectation of privacy. In most such public places, however, one does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy.
    My photo:
    [​IMG]

31. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] They will come soon.

32. Garry its not the lack of teeth thats the issue but the lack of balls.Its not for everybody and the perils are overstated.
    00VazR-213663584.jpg

33. Gary.
    " Trying those shots in many cities will get you a few bullets or knives in your body"
    I most time drinking when shoot....(tequilla) I no feel it. It all ok :)
    I shoot picture while they stick me with knive, it make dramaticly picture! I post here ok? jejeje

34. Last Christmas holidays in Lund....
    [​IMG]

35. An Armenian Kitchen in Jerusalem, late afternoon
    00Vb3S-213691584.jpg

36. Barry, interesting light an composition.
    Michael S. mysterious, good one

37. Here is another one I found in my collection. Made in the framework of my Men at Work project that was ended some days ago. If you're interested in this series, you could visit http://people.stellaria.nl.
    This particular one was made in Trastevere in Rome, last spring...
    [​IMG]

38. My contribution:[​IMG]

39. These photos are all great! I am so impressed.
    Garry: Most of these "street" guys know their rights down pat. This is all public property type stuff. The one biggest exception you have to be aware of, and has already been mentioned by Michael S (with a link to a great summary of photographers' rights), is the reasonable expectation of privacy. The toilet stall is a good example. The one that first enters my mind is taking embarassing photos of someone through their household blinds. If someone has their blinds drawn, they have a "reasonable" expectation of privacy, especially at night. If you are peeking through their windows and take embarassing photos through a crack in the curtains or blinds, you could end up in legal trouble.
    Business windows on public streets, however, are always public, and they have no reasonable expectation of privacy. This applies in the U.S. as well as in Canada, the U.K., the E.U., and any other civilized country.

40. These photos are all great! I am so impressed.
    Garry: Most of these "street" guys know their rights down pat. This is all public property type stuff. The one biggest exception you have to be aware of, and has already been mentioned by Michael S (with a link to a great summary of photographers' rights), is the reasonable expectation of privacy. The toilet stall is a good example. The one that first enters my mind is taking embarassing photos of someone through their household blinds. If someone has their blinds drawn, they have a "reasonable" expectation of privacy, especially at night. If you are peeking through their windows and take embarassing photos through a crack in the curtains or blinds, you could end up in legal trouble.
    Business windows on public streets, however, are always public, and they have no reasonable expectation of privacy. This applies in the U.S. as well as in Canada, the U.K., the E.U., and any other civilized country.

41. it's not so much about rights as about using common sense.
    00VbCQ-213779584.jpg

42. Sorry, second try...

43. My sincere apologies: if it does not work out this time I will leave it as it is.

44. I''ll post a couple of shots I kind of like
    00VbGM-213829584.jpg

45. "...One of the key protections is that people should know when their picture is being taken for commercial reasons and what the image will be used for. Their consent is also needed. While there are exceptions under the law, they are limited and specific and concern journalistic, artistic and literary pursuits."

46. Fi Rondo
    Could you go into more detail please. I have been wondering about all this for a long period of time and am getting much useful information now. Thanks to everyone who has shared.

47. khi

khi

48. khi

khi

49. Bebo Vasquez,
    How are you going to use the camera if it is in your intestines and you are no longer living? Matters not how much booze you think you will be drinking or drugs that some have snorted or injected etcetra that some says kills the pain--10 mil and 45 ACP bullets and knives do kill all pain when used by some person or people. Is it really worth the chance for a picture without asking permission for the thrill of waiting to find out if you hear the sound of a bullet or knife tearing your body apart? For me, it is not and that is just one of the reasons I ask permission first and also know when to exit the area PDQ.

50. You sound a bit paranoid Garry. Did you have a bad experience once? Or is this how you might react if you saw someone pointing a camera in your direction? Whatever the case may be, I hope for your sake as well as those around you, you are having it looked into.
    00VbVC-213905584.jpg

51. Gary you win award for most dramatic performance on internet. I mail you Oscar. jajaja
    Gary where you live Bagdad? Maybe you need find new neighborhoods to live in. Not sound safe there!
    Or maybe do not go outside. No one shoot or stab you then! Hide under bed. Pray to Jesus.
    "Dear Jesus, please no let man tear my body apart with knive for take his picture. Amen"
    I sorry I find humor jajaja

52. interesting thread..still digging into my collection. just to be quick let me share one of my street photo...
    [​IMG]

53. Michael Watt... I was just quoting from the link Mr. Garry Mansfield made available to us because he loves humanity more than he does photography.
    By the way, Andrea... those are excellent pictures... good thread, over all...

54. Gary where you live Bagdad? Maybe you need find new neighborhoods to live in. Not sound safe there!.... I sorry I find humor jajaja​
    Me, too. Bebo.
    [​IMG]

55. [​IMG] Look closely

56. from the roof
    00VbaD-213969584.jpg

57. 2:08 am - great shot Barry!

58. Bebo,
    What place(s) #1 is a few of the better rated tourist resorts in Mexico followed by parts of Detroit and a larger city in Quebec Canada. I feel a heck of a lot safer in Cuba and really safe in Texas where we have our second home--been in the three places on the list and within feet of people as they breathed their last breath and two were left with major parts of their body missing simply for taking pictures through a window. did not see it happen but did hear the bang and sounds of breaking glass--did you know that blood falling on you feels like warm rain but is sticky and does not swipe off easily. These people doing the shooting cared less about human life than I care about a spider about to bite me--just don't interfere with there business of dealing in drugs according to the police as they questioned us. I saw nothing as was the case for over twenty people but the person that claimed to have pictures just prior to the shootings was executed before the trial.
    No, this was not Bagdad

59. Garryyyyyyyyyyy why take photo of drug dealers? What you expecting?
    I see barking mean pitbull dog, I go take picture. It bite me in mi cajones. I come on internet tell people no more take pictures of ALL animals!
    This making sense? I no think so! It my fault sticking my camera in mean dogs face.
    Hoping you friends all ok. Try soda club for blood stains. It work!

60. [​IMG]
    Grand Central Terminal, May 2009

61. Bebo,
    Last time for this topic for me
    I was not taking pictures of ANY store or person / people and ALL the above were holiday trips with my wife. You must have special powers to know if someone is a dealer as many police and civilians become deceased simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time PLUS all were upper class areas. It all happens in a matter of seconds--not minutes and that is why I never saw a thing nor did my wife untill the bodies lay bleeding and crying or had the stare of death that I witnessed far too often as we went out to an accident scene with a tow truck. Those are the people I feel sorry for--the person that bragged about having taken the pictures only to join the ranks of the deceased--I don't feel the least bit sorry for nor did I shed any tears
    Jared----Morgues cast many different lighting effects---have you thought about taking phots there?

62. Garry Mansfield , Jan 24, 2010; 10:37 p.m.
    Dejan,
    If those buildings are public places, why not try be in one of them after the place of business is closed without the owner's permission as the polce respond to a silent alarm. Try telling that joke to to business owner and police about it being public property. I do know the difference between public and private property--Do You?
    Garry, that's in incredibly silly response. Who mentioned being inside a business after closing time? And why the confrontational tone?

-----
    Philip Ward [​IMG] [​IMG] , Jan 25, 2010; 12:26 a.m.
    Garry its not the lack of teeth thats the issue but the lack of balls.Its not for everybody and the perils are overstated.
    Thanks, Phillip. That might be a bit harsh but I do agree with your comment about the "perils".

Garry, I've been doing street "stuff off" and on for thirty + years. I do, of course, try to employ some common sense in "dodgy" areas but I have never even felt myself to be in any sort of physical danger. I worry more about changing lanes on the I-10 approaching the San Diego freeway!
    -----
    Garry Mansfield , Jan 25, 2010; 08:04 p.m.
    Bebo Vasquez ,
    How are you going to use the camera if it is in your intestines and you are no longer living?

Incredible!! Garry, ever heard of something called a SENSE OF HUMOR? Bebo's comments are obviously tounge-in-cheek and REALLY FUNNY! Thanks, Bebo!
    -----
    To all: The shots are great! Keep having fun!

63. Si I play with funny man Garryyyyyyyyyyy jejeje
    I seriously too
    "I was not taking pictures of ANY store or person / people and ALL the above were holiday trips with my wife."
    "untill the bodies lay bleeding and crying or had the stare of death that I witnessed far too often as we went out to an accident scene with a tow truck."
    Garryyyyyyyy my english bad, but you talk like crazy guy. You talk about traffic accident? Tow truck? How tear up body in car mean taking photo will make me tear up too? You go drive tow truck on holiday with wife to pick up body parts? Why this?
    "just don't interfere with there business of dealing in drugs according to the police as they questioned us."
    You talk drug dealers, no me Garryyyyyyyyyyyy. I drunk now, I pretend you drunk too Garyyyyyyyy that why you say all this. Ok? Drunk better than crazzzzyyyyyy Garryyyyyyyyy.
    "Bebo, Last time for this topic for me"
    It not. I see you tomorrow mi amigo Garryyyyyyyyy.
    Jared no be frightened. Garryyyyyyyyy funny man. No take photos by tow truck. All ok then jejejeje

64. Thanx for the kind remarks Marc and Pnina, but so many of these others stand out hard to single any out, but I really like Kieth, Andreas, Bebo's, RJ's, Michael's, Tons, Fi's, Marc's Phillips, Damon's etc, etc..

Also, Just wondering, how many have been shot, stabbed, sued, etc. after taking a street photo? I don't know, this crap sounds dangerous. Is there room for others in your foxhole Garry?
    For superstition sake, Cabash! but really..no seriously, honestly, like I mean....come on guy!

65. [​IMG]
    Hope you'll like it.

66. Morgues cast many different lighting effects---have you thought about taking phots there?​
    Actually it's what I did at some point if that´s a topic you want to discuss but really, I´m not seeing where you want to take this Garry. From your bio I see that you´re mostly a nature guy and shoot landscapes and by now you surely must have understood what the regulars here have been trying to tell you.
    Is it dangerous out there. Yes of course it is. It´s very easy to get into trouble. That is if you´re a fool and most here aren´t. I´m not sure about the statistics but at a guess I would say that the chances of being shot or stabbed out there are about the same as being bitten by a rattlesnake out in the boonies. Remote.
    Still, nice you care about our safety.

67. Voyeurism
    00Vdvs-215673584.jpg

68. Voyeurism

69. "victim knowing you did so and then posted on here, by the looks of some of the people you may have to bend over to bruh your teeth providing you still have a few left. Trying those shots in many cities will get you a few bullets or knives in your body in today's today free of charge—“
    Do you carry, Gary? Keep to the shadows in big cities; you can’t be too sure it’s a dangerous place out there. Body armour, combat training is a must….especially if you are going to carry a cam. Perhaps a loyal attack Doberman at you side to take the heat while you draw…..
    Anyway, you will be safe taking this photo, although you can never be too sure...let your training become your instincts always walk aware……
    You will be safe letting your pecker rise for this one, no flesh and blood to scare you ,just a mannequin to give only a little scare….
    00Ve5e-215759584.jpg

70. [​IMG]
    Barcelona, Spain

71. [​IMG]
    ɹǝpun uʍop puɐl ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ
    Nikon D90, Zeiss ZF 100/2makro