Vivitar Series 1 90 f/2.5 macro. is it any good ?

emre_imamoglu

I'm looking for a cheap decent macro lens to use with my D70. AF ones

are expensive for me, therefıre I started looking for a MF one. I

don't think that metering will be a problem using the histogram. I

know that current Vivitar products are not quite good. But I found a

used Vivitar 90/2,5 Series 1. With the adapter it can go to 1:1. Is it

any good? Heard of 105 f/2.5 but not this one. Any comments on the

optical quality and value will be aprreciated.

That particular Vivitar has a very good reputation. I believe that all 90/2.5 macro lenses

were of the first generation

of Vivitar Series I optics, which were as good as were available.

Now, that particular lens may have been dropped or something and not be up to par, but I

think you can reasonably expect it to be very good.

I've owned one of these lenses since 1978 or thereabouts. I don't own a Nikon D-SLR (yet) so my comments only apply to film work. The lens is well-built and yields sharp, flat-field images. My only complaint is that there's a lot of glass, especially with the 3-element macro corrector/extender, so you have to be careful about internal reflections; use a lens hood when possible. With the D70's lens magnification factor your effective focal length may seem long for macro work?<div>00C062-23141884.thumb.jpg.f8d490085816b3edb3448eeaaf286955.jpg</div>

At the time it came out; it was the sharpest lens the photo mags had ever tested. It tested at 109 line pairs/mm at F11 and F16; on axis; AND the corners; at a 1:9.7 Mag. This lens was designed by an USA design optical design team in the North east I think. The one I have is a nice lens; with a quick focus. Many of these lenses were sold; they are way more common than the 105mm F2.5 VIVITAR Series lens.

I had this lens for two decades and it was a wonderful performer on a series of Nikon

cameras. Most often I kept a 2X (Nikon) TC with it and the resolution still held up. After

more than 20 years of hard use, the lens barrel started to get a little wobbly and the

diaphragm blades began to get a little out of alignment, so I'd check those items on your

potential purchase. But it's a great lens.

I had one years ago. Very Sharp. I have a 16X24 hand held enlargement made on K64 that really is good. Mine finally wouldn't stop down past F:16. I finally sold it when most of my copy work was handled better by a 60mm Nikkor (flat objects). I never used the 1:1 converter so I can't comment on that. The lens is heavy to carry, but as I said, super sharp.

Incidentally, the Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 Macro mentioned above is a copy of the Vivitar Series One. They are optically identical, except that the Tamron does not have an optical extension tube for 1:1, just a mechanical one. I have owned and used both of these lenses. The Tamron also has better multi-coating, IMHO. So, up to 2:1 in good lighting, the lenses are identical. The Vivitar is sharper at magnifications beyond 2:1 when the optical tube is used, and flare isn't a big problem. IMHO, the Tamron is better when flare is an issue in general use. FYI, I kept the Tamron over the Vivitar because of the Adaptall mount system, so I can use it on my Olympus, Leica, Canon, Minolta, and Pentax bodies, as well as my Nikons.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...
<p>I agree with the comments about the pros and cons of this lens which I've owned since it came out. I believe the other 90mm Vivitar referenced was an f/2.8, not f/2.5. And I don't think the Tamron is the same design; the number of elements and groups does not match up, for example. In any case no other lens ever racked up such high resolution figures in _Modern Photography_. Wide open it was a mere 98 lines/mm, center and edge, at 1:9.7 magnification. (Why that odd number? I believe this was based on a design for a copy machine lens, and so optimized for about 1:10 rather than the approximate 1:50 for a regular lens and 1:2 or 1:1 for a macro.) For reference, the highest figure for the Nikon 1.4 normal lens of that era was 70 lines/mm at f/8 and 1:50. Test results for the f/2.5 and the f/2.8 were about on a par with the Nikon normal lens at 1:50. At 1:1 and 1:2 the f/2.5 was much superior to the f/2.8. The lens is at its best on a copy stand with carefully controlled lighting that does not cause flare. BTW, if you look this up in one of _Modern's_ Photo Buying Guide Annuals the results for the two lenses are somewhat garbled together.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>There were both 90/2.8 and 90/2.5 non-Series 1 Vivitar macro lenses. The 90/2.8 was also sold in the U.S. under the Panagor name. I have the Panagor in Konica AR, Minolta MD and Nikon AI mounts. The 90/2.5 was sold in the U.S. under the Elicar, Spiratone and Rokunar names. The one I have is a Rokunar and is in Minolta MD mount. I have a 90/2.8 Vivitar Macro in OM mount. Both the f/2.5 and f/2.8 lenses are very good and focus to 1:1 without any additional extension tube. My 90/2.5 Vivitar Series 1 is in Canon FD mount. It is quite good but is not as well coated as the later Vivitar 100/2.8 Macro (22XXX...) which was sold under the Kiron name as a 105. I think this same lens was also sold as a 105/2.5 Vivitar Series 1. My 90/2.5 Tamron SP is the second model. I wanted a medium telephoto macro for Pentax K and M42. The 100mm Takumar M42 lenses are not that expensive but the 100mm Pentax macro lenses are sought after by users of K mount DSLRs. The Tamron was reasonably priced even in very nice condition and is a very good performer. I haven't compared it directly with any of my other macro lense son the 90-105 range but I like it. </p>

• 5 years later...

<p>a bit of confusion here the only 90mm series 1 will only go to 1:2 with out the extender </p>

<ul>

<li>Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 Macro (1:1 macro, made by Komine)</li>

<li>Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 Macro (1:1 macro, made by Komine)</li>

<li>Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 1:2 Macro, 1:1 achieved with dedicated extender, nicknamed the <em>Bokina</em> (made by Tokina)</li>

<li>Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro (made by Kiron)</li>

<li>

<ul>

<li>Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5 macro (1:1 macro, made by Kiron)</li>

</ul>

</li>

</ul>