Vivitar FD lens

Discussion in 'Canon FD' started by mhalle photography, Feb 27, 2009.

1. I have just bought this lens on ebay but I can't seem to find any info, is it relative to the 28-90mm lens? Its 28-85. It is in nice condition with case and caps. I bought it for a canon t90 thx.
    [​IMG]

2. Hello Marie:
    That's a mighty clean looking zoom for your T90. Here are a couple of Vivitar links.
    http://cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivitar
    I'm a fan of Vivitar lenses and have four of them for my kit. The Series 1 lenses were the premium product but there are many non-SI-1's that are very good too. My zoom is the 28-90mm Series 1. You can read more about this lens on my previous post here: http://www.photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00QhRw
    Best of luck with yours and let's see some pics!....................Lou

3. As Louis pointed out with his links, there is usually an indication of manufacturer in Vivitar serial numbers. Yours was manufactured by Kino, a highly regarded maker. I believe it is an earlier relative of the 28-90.

4. I have this lens in K mount. I think it compares favorably with the 28-90 Series 1.

5. Yes, Kino (Kiron) made extremely nice lenses. Marie, your lens, and mine, are variable focus lenses, not true zooms. You must refocus after zooming. While not as convenient, it's easier for the optical designer to correct for certain lens abberations with that design. Mine has the same filter size and maximum aperture as yours so I think they are very closely related. Mine turns in an impressive optical performance and I bet yours will too.

6. Thanks so much. I had not realized there were any responses to this question. I am glad I looked today since I thought it was bad news :) I am waiting on delivery of a t-90 and am happy I lucked out on this lens... I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the links too Lou, all very useful info.

7. I have the Vivitar Kiron Lens series1 35-85 f/2.8 lens and it is a favorite in my collection.

8. My original complement of FD lenses (50mm f/1.4, 35mm f/3.5 and 100-200mm f/5.6 zoom) served me well for over 10 years. When I could finally afford to buy a new lens, I bought a Vivitar 28-85mm Variable Focusing lens in 1984. It quickly became my standard lens for general photography.
    In my experience, this lens has been consistently sharp with high contrast. The color balance is slightly cooler than my FD lenses. At first, I was a little concerned that this lens was not a true zoom, but, in actual use, this has not been a problem for me. As a habit, I always touch up the focus just before taking the shot.

9. The reason I went to fd was the need to train my eyes to focus, thanks for the tip on the variable focus. This should be a new experience.

10. i used to have that lens. it was big and heavy and the image quality sucked so i got rid of it.

11. Well Brian let`s hope your happy now :) :) :) I am. I`ve read nothing but positive things about it so far.. Thanks for the contribution though.

12. Here is an accidental pic I took in my car with the vivitar lens. I'm ok with it lol
    00SirL-115063684.jpg