Video size

Discussion in 'Video' started by israa_elmaddah, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Hello there,
    I am using canon 650D camera. I am not a fan of video recording but sometimes I need it. when I shoot video and try to transfer files, the file size is very big. It splits the video and almost all of them is 3.98 GB. I don't need this size for now. Is there a special settings in my camera that reduces the big size while shooting.
    Like for example shooting photos in Large and Raw etc.
    Thanks for your help

2. Looks like the 650D will do:
    1920 x 1080 (29.97, 25, 23.976 fps)
    1280 x 720 (59.94, 50 fps)
    640 x 480 (30, 25 fps)
    Pick a lower resolution and/or a lower frame rate and your file size will shrink.

3. There is a direct correlation between file size and video quality. The 3.98GB size is the limit for the FAT32 system used on the cards, so the camera uses a technique called chunking. Some editing packages can seamlessly join the chunks together, some can't.

4. Dear Matthew,
    Thank you for your answer, but I still don't know how to do it!! can you explain more

5. Dear Gareth,
    So I can't change is?

6. No, I don't have a manual for your camera, and I've never had one, so I cannot tell you where this setting is. You probably need to put it in video mode and drive down into some menus to change it, but that's all I can tell you. Canon probably has the manual online, or try some of the guys over in the Canon forum.
    As far as the 4 gig limit goes, no, you can't change that. The camera will never make a file larger than 4 gig, period.

7. I can't really add to Matthew's response. Video files are huge because you are effectively taking 30 pictures every second. Software can reduce this later if the final viewing is to be of lower quality.

8. You can use www.urlcrypt.to if you want to exchange video urls without third party interference.