Vericolor 5072 - Exposed in daylight as a negative

OK, so I'm being optimistic :-) but I've done it!!

Rated at 8ASA with a pale orange filter I've got well-exposed negs,

but the colour balance is way wrong :-( The negs are very orange/red,

so they scan as excessively blue.

I thought I had a handle on the filtering requirements, but I could

use a few suggestions before my next tests.

The film is designed for producing a colour slide from a C41 neg,

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e24/e24.j

html#51184 , I want to produce a similar neg to that made by cross-

processing E6 film in C41 ... anyone have a good idea what filtering

I should be using on the camera?

Chris,

I assume that what you are using is Vericolor Slide Film. Is this correct? If so, Vericolor Slide film is basically a lab speed color negative film on a clear support. If processed in C-41 it will produce a negative. I have cross-processed this film in the past with pretty good results. The earlier Vericolor emulsions--Like VPS--tend to cross-process a bit better than some of the newer T-Grain emulsions. I generally tend to overexpose by 1-2 stops and push +2 in E-6. Try this as a starting point or even barcket a series of exposures at a fixed processing rate. Results will also vary with light source.

I hope this helps...

Michael D. D'Avignon

wickedmartini@yahoo.com

Michael,

Yes, it's that Vericolor Slide Film. I've got the pdf from the Kodak web-site and tried to extrapolate from the data therein exactly how I should be filtering it to use it as a "normal" colour negative film. Somehow I came up with the idea that an 85 filter or similar would be close to the required colour correction, but I was way off.

The only reason I'm interested is because I've got 100ft of the stuff from eBay for very little indeed, so it's worth playing with. The processed film shows virtually no background in the rebates, so it's not deteriorated. I've loaded up a few cassettes with 12-exposure lengths, I'll continue to experiment. The wierd thing is that the scanned negs of the exposures I have made show virtually nothing in the blue channel, so I'd guess the film is intrinsically very red-insensitive as it was designed primarily for use with tungsten light. Maybe I'm chasing something impossible, but it's a bit of fun, I can always convert the scans to b&w and go from there ;-)

Since the film is designed to make slides from C41 negatives, the film has to compensate for the orange mask on the orignal negative. Also, since it is used with tungsten light source, 5072 is designed to work with that color temperature.

You'll need to find a way to approximate both the negative orange mask, plus tungsten filtration, *plus* whatever filtration is recommended on the can. I think, but am not positive, that the can would have a starting filter pack recommendation for that emulsion batch of film, as if it was being used to make slides in the lab from C-41.

In other words, you've got a lot of filtration to figure out.