Verichrome pan viability

I came across a roll of verichrome pan that I assume was not subjected to extreme conditions and still in wrapper and have a particular camera that I want to use it in. Is there any compelling argument that I am wasting my time? There is no expiration date and It is a 126 cartridge that I am using in a Ricoh 126 flex with a 100 mm lens.

Thanx

Don

Might be worth a try. With it being an ISO 125 film it will have some fog. Try to use a log fog developer. I know Kodak's HC110 and Ilford's Microphen are log fog. Maybe develop normally, but bracket exposure. Also, if you are careful in opening the cartridge you may be able to reload it. Several "how to" videos online.
  • Like 2

IMG_0005.thumb.JPG.7f5566bb45933193d782455a9996d37f.JPG

Might be worth a try. With it being an ISO 125 film it will have some fog. Try to use a log fog developer. I know Kodak's HC110 and Ilford's Microphen are log fog. Maybe develop normally, but bracket exposure. Also, if you are careful in opening the cartridge you may be able to reload it. Several "how to" videos online.

Actually I got the cartridge to reload but since it was sitill in foil ? Pack I thought I would try shooting. All my cartridges were lost during remodeling. I start with 120 film and on a wood lathe and exacto saw cut it to 35mm with backing on it. Even in light it is packed tight enough that I have not gotten light penetration. Then I am left with a roll of 16 mm so nothing gets wasted. Then in the dark room I use a hole punch and make a half hole punch at appropriate distance for film stop catch.

Thanks. Actually it is simple and fast. I just became obsessed with a quick simple method to cut and reroll film that suited my tastes. Everyone has their own method but I can cut and reload a cartridge in about 20 minutes with no loss of function. Their was a lot of incrustation before I was satisfied. It is a matter of finding the right answer after trying everything else.

Haven't tried any Tri-X from that decade, but I have done some Verichrome Pan (127) and some Plus-X with some fog, and some Panatomic-X with no significant fog. I did shoot and process a roll of 126 Verichrome Pan with an early 80's expiration that was heavily fogged. Probable not stored carefully.

I have had good results with old VP, even back to 1957. At 30 years, most often it is just fine.

I bought a roll of already exposed VP122, tray developed it, and found pictures of the Mackinac bridge under construction. That, and the ASA 80, date it close to the beginning of VP.

It could have been left in the sun, or in a car on a hot day, but most likely it will be just fine.

Tri-X and TMY don't last as long. Might not be bad at 20 years, and worse at 30.

-- glen