shaun_carter

i shot a wedding earlier this month where i used two flashes for formals for

the first time. i practiced alot before the wedding, so i knew how to use that

setup but i think i got carried away with it. i ended up carring the umbrella

around with me using it for more that just the formals. my question is, for

those of you that use this setup when do you use it, bride and groom shots

only, bride shots only, all formals, etc.?(one flash bounced in umbrella high

and to the side and one flash on camera flashbracket base bulb). i'm using two

Canon 580's, white umbrella, 30D, and 17-55 2.8.

A second flash used properly gives even lighting with open shadows and a pleasing roundness to your subjects. An umbrella is nice, but cumbersome and not really necessary if you observe the following three critical points:

1. Placement: In a line-up such as a wedding group, if someone is standing a little forward of the others a second flash may cause his or her shadow to be cast on an adjacent person. This can be especially bad, for instance, in large groups where the attendants are in a wide descending "V" on the altar steps with the bride and groom at the top. (Or the bottom, for that matter.) For this reason, I keep the second flash just a little more than arms-length to my left or right.

2. Direction: If the second light is on your right, for example, I find it best to point it at about the middle of the left half of the group.

3. Power: Use similar flashes and set them both to put out the same amount of light. A higher-contrast arrangement, with the off-camera light putting out more power looks nice and is good for one or two people, if you're careful about where the shadows fall, but in larger groups it creates too much potential for problems with shadows cast in the wrong places.

With both flashes set for the same output, with one flash pointing directly at the subjects and one flash to the side, both sides of the subjects' faces receive one unit of light from the direct flash. In addition, one side of each face receives a second unit of light from the second flash. This creates a visually pleasing 2:1 ratio.

Delanza,

I use two, and sometimes a third for lighting a dark background, 550EX flashes. I only use more than one flash when shooting the formals - one on camera bracket and one on a light stand. As stated above, you have to be careful with a flash that is off the lens axis causing unwanted shadows, especially with larger groups. I have

tried using the ratio settings and found my control is inconsistent. Now, I set one flash about 15 degrees off camera and slightly forward to insure its seeing the master flash and firing. I use Sto-Fen's on both flashes and set off camera flash aimed up about 65 degrees and on camera flash amied up about 15 degrees. Both flashes are set to E-TTL. I shoot from a tripod with a remote release in manual mode and set shutter to under expose background by about one stop and set aperture for DOF wanted.

I find this is a simple set-up and gives me consistent even lighting.

Cliff

For formals, I use two flashes. A Quantum T2 on a light stand about 2 feet from the camera with the light at a height of about 10ft. The height throws the shadows down and back behind the groups and also helps to even the illumination. The second light, usually a SB800, is on the camera. Both lights have diffusers. Camera is in manual mode with the speed set for 1 stop under the metered background. ISO 125-320, depending on conditions. The on-camera flash is TTL. The Quantum on Auto, set to meter at F8 to F5.6. I use Pocket Wizards to sync the flash. I should add that I normally shoot formals on film because I like the saturation and skin tones better.

I use multiple lighting when I want multiple lighting, doesn't have to be just formals. With and without an umbrella. For reception room lights. When I take the couple from the reception for the romantic/casual shots if I want multiple lights. For reception entrances if I want multiple lighting. For processionals. Many times the off camera light is acting as accent/rim/backlighting rather than key into an umbrella.

thanks for the sharing of information and also the technical tips on shadows. sounds like the bottom line is use two lights when ever you need/want to. i forgot about using the second light to brighten a dark background. i've done it before but didn't think about it at the last weedding mainly because i was so focused on experimenting with the umbrella. nadine, you also gave many other nice suggestions on ways to use the second light. thanks! you can check out pictures from the wedding here: http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=2478023