using a Black Rapid strap

paul_soohoo2

<p>I recently bought a Black Rapid strap RS 7 for my D300 instead of using my Upstrap. The problem is that the connection point is typically the tripod socket which is fine under most situations where I am not going to use a tripod.<br>

My thought was to put some sort of split O-ring through one of the carrying lugs and clipping the BlackRapid carabiner to the o-ring in the lug when I am going to use the tripod a lot. Is this safe i.e. is having all of the weight of the camera and lens on one lug bad? I'm not talking a huge lens. Perhaps a 70 - 300 5.6 zoom.</p>

<p>I've used BR straps for about a year and a half now. No Issues. If you're using a large enough lens that it has a tripod foot, (70-200mm f/2.8 and larger), than you should attach the BR to the lens foot rather than the camera.</p>

<p>My setup is:<br>

D700 w/ various lenses and battery grip. I attach to the tripod foot of my 70-200mm f/2.8 and 300mm f/4. </p>

<p>Not sure if I'd trust it on anything larger, but likely anything larger would be on a monopod or tripod.</p>

<p>RS</p>

<p>I use a BR for several years now in combination with a Manfrotto QR plate. I once used it on the tripod foot of a 70-200 and at that time the tripod foot disconnected(I was sure I checked the disconnect screw) and crashed on the concrete, no harm but scratches and a instant heartattach.</p>

I leave an RRS L-plate on my D700 all the time, and thanks to the very good suggestion of a Photo.net member here,

use a Kirk 1" QR clamp (http://www.kirkphoto.com/1_in_Quick_Release_Clamp.html) to allow me to quickly remove the

BR strap from the plate. Note that the RRS L-plates have a threaded tripod hole as well, so you can also screw the

BR strap directly into that, but of course it takes more time to move back and forth than a QR clamp. This setup does

not add much weight or bulk, and I think it's preferrable to attaching the BR strap to one of the standard strap lugs. I

am sure that those carrying lugs are plenty strong, but it's an awkward position for the BR strap, and an unbalanecd

way to carry the camera swinging beside you.

<p>Sam,<br>

So the QR clamp serves as the tripod socket to which you screw in your BR attachment grommet.<br>

When you want to use your tripod you turn the clamp knob and slide off the camera and then use your L bracket.<br>

Any problems with the QR clamp screw loosening up accidentally? Seems like a nice solution. Thanks!</p>

<p>I second the use of Kirk QR Plates (or RRS will do too). I have plates attached to both my bodies and my 300mm f2.8 and 80-200mm f2.8. I use a DR-1 Double Strap. The straps are attached to short Kirk Plates and held securely with Loctite (as I don't have to remove them to attach to another camera body or lens). Just release the QR plate and attach to the appropriate item. I've even carried the 300/2.8 alone like that for long periods of time with no issues. You get used to just reaching around and checking the tightness of the connection periodically, but I've never had an issue. <br>

I can quickly detach the lens or body from the strap and attach to a monopod or tripod.<br>

The QR plates do add a bit of extra weight, but it is minimal compared to the total weight of my gear, and the convenience of changing quickly.</p>