lot of time telling us to open different layers to work on. Everyone

in the class seemed to agree. I have tried to use the PS 3 program

and read Scott Kelby's book. Neither the help menu, the little book

that came with the software or the Kelby book seem to tell us to open

different layers while working with the program. Am I missing

something ? Should I worry about opening layers ? Is PS3 that

different or can I just try my editing and not be concerned with the

layer issue ? Thanks for your input. Jerry

AFAIK, Elements has the same layers support that CS2 uses. The help menu & guidebook tell you how to apply commands, they're not really focused on when you should use them. Your instructor, on the other hand, is quite right in suggesting that layers are an excellent tool which should be abused as often as possible, to retain your ability to affect the overall image without destroying detail you might want to get back later.

The use of layers provides wonderful tools that can really enhance a photo.

Now, that being said, no, you DON'T need to use them. In fact, I would suggest ignoring them at first. Photo editing is a BIG subject to get your arms around all at once Many, photograpers don't use them. If, at this point, all you are interested in is minor color/exposure correction, cropping, etc. You don't need them.

Now, THAT being said, at somepoint you will begin to feel constrained by the tools you do know. That is the time to start thinking about layers. You CAN eat an entire cake, but you need to do it one byte at a time.

Glen and Amul--thank you for your answers. In reviewing

my notes from the class, the primary focus was "masking & extraction".

It was really fascinating and informative, but these 2 formats

do not seem to be part of Elements 3. One very interesting

thing the instructor did was to place frames around the images, then

have part of the image overlap the frame. In some demo's,

he made the image gradually change from color to black & white, {or

vice versa }. Are these things possible in Elements 3 or do I need

to go to CS 2 ? I do not want to "byte" off more than I can chew, but do I need to get another version of Photoshop?

Again, thanks for your answers-----Jerry

Jerry,

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I am new to digital and really new to Photoshop. I have and use PSE3, and it has many, many features that will allow you to do a lot with your pictures. At some point you may want to go to CS2, but might want to play with PSE3 for awhile until you master some of the more basic concepts. Like you, I had some trouble early on trying to figure out what to do, how to do it, and when. I wound up buying a book called PSE3- The Missing Manual, by Barbara Brundage. Not only did it detail all the features of the program, it explained why/when you would want to use them. It heped me tremendously. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck.

Jerry,

I've just done a quick google search, and Elements 3 does have layers, and gradient maps, but apparently not masks:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshop/f/elementscompare.htm

The easiest way to find out where these are is to use the help menu. Search for the keywords "layer," "gradient," and "mask" (each term a seperate search).

It sounds to me as if, rather than trying to bite off more than you can chew, the more appropriate analogy is that you're hesitant to get back on the horse without an instructor holding the reins. If that's true, then I wholeheartedly encourage you to hop back in the saddle and take your baby out for a ride! So long as you make a copy of your unaltered image before you get going, you'll be safe.

Fred and Amul--thanks again for your answers. I will try to find the Brundage book. I will also try to use the PSE 3 program by myself. I have backed up all my images,so I will not lose anything..Oh well, as the say, nothing ventured, nothing gained----so I'll hope for the best and expect to be pleasantly surprised. Jerry