Urban Decay Photography Locations in Los Angeles Area

<p>Hello All,</p>

<p>I am looking to do a series of photos on old expired film, on an old crown graphic 4x5, and im looking for locations in the LA Area that have urban decay, ie. abandoned cars, buildings, rust, over grown left behind industry that olds meats the earth. </p>

<p>Any locations that are known besides the Salton Sea and Pearblossom highway would be appreciated. thanks</p>

<p>Unfortunately, the site is down for reworking right now, but the Los Angeles crime map ( http://www.lapdonline.org/crime_prevention/content_basic_view/42390 ) will give you a pretty good idea of what areas are undergoing "urban decay".</p>

<p>Decayed areas, abandoned buildings, and the like are not inherently <strong><em>safe</em></strong> areas. So think carefully, and exercise due diligence.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Is there a difference between urban decay and urban blight? I cannot off the top of my head come up with anything like you describe and I've been all over LA. LA is a great city to get lost in and by that I mean it's easy to take a wrong turn because of the endless roadwork (and detours that result from it) or because streets have a way of ending abruptly only to start again a mile or two down the road. Some of the areas I've been to I've discovered simply by trying to find my sense of direction. Anyway, I'm not sure about urban decay but there is plenty to see if you want areas that aren't abandoned but are blighted with grafitti, litter (including old sofas, matteresses and other furniture) strewn about. Hey, LA is a densley populated major city, how could it not have areas like this? Hollywood is pretty seedy, even the touristy area of Hollywood/Highland. Much of the San Fernando Valley has gone down the drain, at least according to people who grew up there in the 50's and 50's like my father. In downtown LA there is a area called The Warehouse District. What little manufacturing is done in LA is done here, but I doubt you'll find any abandoned factories here. Nothing stays put for very long in LA; things get torn down quickly and something else takes it's place (like a Starbucks). If you take the Metro Blue Line from downtown LA to Long Beach, the tracks run along some more industrial areas and some run down neighborhoods. I once purchased a day pass several years ago and spent the day getting off at various stops to explore around in. Again, not abandoned but blighted with graffiti, a liquor store on every corner and litter everywhere. I did take some pictures, but I know I never printed any. I cannot remember if this was because I just didn't care for what pictures I took, or if these rolls were put in the "whenever I get time to print these" portion of my archives. I've actually been thinking about taking another day trip on the Blue Line. If I do, I'll make a point to print some pictures.</p><div>00aLRo-463191584.jpg.a5e11577c9bc7c0f477e9fb2d7be8e9a.jpg</div>

<p>I wouldn't recommend going to places of urban decay, near LA, unless you knew very well what the surrounding area was like. You could BECOME part of the decay. </p>

<p>The Salton Sea and Pearblossom are NOT near LA at all. The Salton Sea is 165 miles to the east, and Pear Blossom is 70 miles to the north east, over the San Gabriel Mountains, in the desert. ( Both much safer than in LA ) </p>

<p>Maybe you mean to just cover areas in and around southern California. </p>

<p>Have you tried Googling for that? There were some old steel mills out by Fontana (San Bernardino area) <br>

There's a funky area off of Downtown in LA at the L.A. River but they are gritty, but not necessarily decayed. I don't recall seeing rusted out cars etc. What about a junk yard? There should be a fair amount of salvage yards in the LA area.</p>

<p>Wrecking yards is one thing I always wanted to photograph. Years ago in my leaner days, I would go to a Pick-N-Pull yard for parts for my old Mazda. This was before I got into photography but even then I was fascinated by all the old cars in various degrees of becoming skeletons. There is a whole cluster of such yards along highway 5 in the North Hollywood and Sun Valley area of the San Fernando Valley.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>Actually to add to Marc's comment I grew up in Burbank (left in 79) but as I recall San Fernando Road pretty much from Glendale to Sylmar was ripe with it. I'd love a chance to cruise that stretch with my camera just to compare what it is now with what I remember in my growing up years.</p>