Uploading in critics in a folder

AJHingel

<p>I have tried to upload photos in connection to comments on one of my photos with no success. I repect the limitation of size (twice with 600 pixels and once with 300) but end up with a frame and a "?" - <a href="../photo/14937833">see here</a>. What am I doing wrong ?<br>

Please could someone delete the failures?</p>

<p>If I'm interpreting the problem correctly, you've encountered a recent change in photo.net that's intended to provide some copy protection. <a href="00Zpbz">See this recent discussion</a>, in which Josh discusses the reasons for this change.</p>

<p>Photos appearing via photo.net's gallery and portfolio views are overlaid with a transparent GIF. The usual technique for downloading the photo (such as right clicking the mouse with a typical Windows PC) will download only the blank GIF rather than the underlying photograph.</p>

<p>It's a fairly common method used on Flickr and many websites to help thwart unauthorized copying. Unfortunately it also defeats most simple attempts at checking the EXIF data (such as copying the image location link and pasting it into an EXIF viewer). It's also fairly easy to get around but it wouldn't be appropriate for me to discuss the techniques for doing so.</p>

<p>I shouldn't speak for Josh, but I'd bet the main purpose of this new security feature is to thwart bots harvesting images or hotlinking images to aggregator sites that leech content. I'm not sure whether this will affect Google images as well. An unfortunate side effect is that it can frustrate well meaning members who wish to offer suggested edits along with written critiques.</p>

<p>For now the best method may be the one Ton used: make a screen capture, paste the copied image into your photo editing software, resave in JPEG format and upload to the photo critique section as usual.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that some screencap utilities default to PNG rather than JPEG image format. For example, I use ScreenGrab! and PixlrGrabber for screencaps, which offers more flexibility than the standard Windows "print screen" utility. While PNG is better for some purposes (preserving text or fine graphics without compression artifacts), for now photo.net allows only attaching PNG's as clickable links. If you want your edited version of an image to appear inline with the critiques as usual, you'll need to save the edited image to JPEG.</p>

<p>Thanks Lex, that is what Josh try to motivate us to read continuously, but I have resisted to follow. I might be the last to have understood !<br>

Yes, I use screen save frequently, and will just have to get used to doing it is such cases. The concrete case is however more simple. I tried to upload a photo from my computer and it insisted in not showing it despite correct dimensions and size !<br>

Anyway I will delete the image and the critiques in question and come back if I encounter similar events.<br>

Thanks, Lex, for your explanation</p>

• 5 years later...

I'm a member of PN for 10 years. But when PN completely change everything I lost all my friends before almost all my images were in the gallery with high ratings and comments and critique. NOW no one come even to visit my site. This is not funny when I did upload images I have only one or two views without critique, comments, rating NOTHING. I'm really disappointed. Why do I have waste my time and upload a new images and I ask myself for WHO only for myself??? A have a same problem like AjHingel. I did not doing nothing wrong but it doesn't work. If it does not change for me for better I do not think I will continue my member in PN next year. I called Josh a few months ago and I left a message for him but he never responded.

Sincerely, Tina Karina

But when PN completely change everything I lost all my friends before almost all my images were in the gallery with high ratings and comments and critique. NOW no one come even to visit my site.

Tina Do not give up yet;I also miss the old PN and like for most ,traffic has all but stopped on my images but I hope by staying around,this will pick up again.It is a pain to get used to this new environment and by looking around,you will find new avenues to exhibit your work.I have discovered the NO WORDS forum and even if the group of regulars is not large,it is picking up additional participants gradually....I would like to see you try and I am sure your work will be appreciated.Even with the low view count,I also keep posting,submit for critique and the odd image finds its way in the trending queue.Not like the good old PN,but if we stick around,we can make it work.Salutations-Laurent