underwater photography

ayano_aya

<p>What is the best underwater equipment for a D300s and following lenses : 50mm , 26 and 70-200</p>

<p>As a beginner at this point, I was wondering to practice at my friends pool.</p>

<p>Specific light that I need to have? Above the water and on my camera.</p>

<p>EVERY suggestion and experience is very welcome!! thank you !!!</p>

<p>Ayano,<br>

Not necessiarily the best, but probably one of the better dependable values in Underwater Housings can be found at Ikelite Underwater Systems.<br>

They manufacture Housings, Lens Ports, Strobe/Flash housings for many camera models. You can visit their website here;<br>

<a href="http://www.ikelite.com/">http://www.ikelite.com/</a></p>

<p>You can also get some pricing ideas from their website.<br>

Be prepared for "sticker shock!"<br>

Best wishes,<br>

Jim j.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Aren't housings all hard plastic? That would limit the usefulness of a zoom lens, too."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, there are Aluminium housings. But then yes, most Lens Ports are made of optical grade acrylic and specially ground for different focal lengths. A wide angle requires a Dome Port. Macro or Telephoto lens Ports will have a flat front.<br>

Telephoto zoom and Macro lens with a focal length beyond 100mm are not recommended for use underwater. <br>

So, in Ayano's case he will need one of the Standard Ports for his 50mm, and a Dome Port for his 26mm. His 70-200 will be of little to no use underwater, even if he could find a lens port that would fit it.</p>

<p>Nathan, and everyone else. Thanks so much!<br>

I usually do fashion shoots for make up or other things that require lots of strong colors.<br>

One of my fantasy and dream is to shoot under water for a entire new spectrum and portfolio ...a prototype kind of thing. Just to see and learn!<br>

It IS a whole different world and when it comes to the colors and settings (equipment ) for under water, i am pretty much at stage 0.</p>

<p>What I see in my mind, is 2 models. One with dark hair and tan skin in a white dress/ the other will be blonde and in a purple dress maybe...</p>

<p>I think I will be using my 50mm since I want to concentrate on close ups or portraits only at this point.</p>

<p>My next questions would be, if I should go by a specific brand and what are the 2 main color/lights that I need to enhance during the shoot?!</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone that takes the time to explain this to me!! I appreciate it </p>

<p>Ayano,</p>

<p>I can't really help you on the brands. My underwater experience was with a very small p&s. I don't believe that you'll need any particular color of lights, as underwater strobes are daylight balanced and you should be close enough to your subject to allow the red and green wavelenghts to travel.</p>

<p>Then again what you're doing is very different from what I did.</p>

<p>I took all of these shots (above and below water) with a Nikonos underwater film camera. The lens was a 35mm. Underwater, the lens acts like a 50mm due to water diffraction which occurs between the lens and water. Everything moves 1/3 closer because of diffraction something you must consider when selecting a setup.. I also used a strobe light underwater.</p>

<p>http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/sets/72157625526207614/</p>

<p>As was mentioned, you lose colors because they are absorbed by water. The deeper you go, the more the colors are absorbed. The artificial light brings the colors back. However, flash also illuminates particles in the water causing back light on the particles. You can see it on many of my shots. You really want to use a wide angle lens to allow yourself to get closer to the subject while getting more wider view. This also minimizes the particles getting lighted. Also, putting the light out on a long arm moves the light away from front flash which lessens this problem.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>http://www.howardhall.com/</p>

<p>Check the document, 'Breaking In'. :-) Otherwise I don't have much to say on the matter as I have not yet taken a photograph underwater (apart from when I was a young teenager when I took a few pictures in the spa with that waterproof 110 Minolta).</p>

<p>I own a Nikonos V and I look forward to using it... eventually. Tip: better to get as close to your subject as you can, because water absorbs light unevenly. Have your light sources indirectly illuminating your subject and have them as far away from the lens as you can. That's all the technique that I know for sure.</p>