Unboxing of M8.2

tim_k1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know Ray, I am sure that for the type of shooting you and I do, It IS a great camera. It's the fatuousness of the whole Leica "experience", like a guy wasting a small bit of his life making a video of a box-opening, not to mention the absurd price-to-value ratio, that just turns me off. Try as I might I can't get beyond the fact that my Olympus E-400, worth about $350, has exactly the same damn 10MP Kodak chip as the M8, and it's digital files, good until about 640 ISO (hmmm....) also look really good.

Andy K wrote: "...<I>I can't get beyond the fact that my Olympus E-400, worth about $350, has exactly the same damn 10MP Kodak chip as the M8</I>"

<P>

How do you figure they're the exact same chip? If I'm not mistaken the Oly doesn't have a 1.33 crop factor or offset microlenses, and has an AA filter. A similar pixel count yet different crop factors itself suggests something is different.

Crop factor has nothing to do with the chip. The 10MP chip came out of Kodak at the same time for both cameras. The E-400

was only sold in Europe, because, it was rumored, Oly only got a small batch of chips from Kodak. It doesn't have the

microlenses, whatever they are because the Oly 4/3 lenses are designed to pass light straight on to the chip. It does have an

AA filter.

I don't know, with a Summicron in front of that sensor my pics are looking sweet. Sweeter than the 5D right out of the box,

although yeah, it starts to fall apart at ISO 1250 if exposure isn't right. If night photography is big for somebody, that's a factor.

What gets overlooked though is that it's legit to have a certain loyalty toward the camera you used early on that fit

your style. I think I've heard you express the same with regard to Olympus, Andy. To others none of that matters.

As for the video, it's an info video to show what's in the box and what's different about the new version. The guy is pretty no nonsense

about it compared to some of

the silly youtube camera reviews that have been done on just about every brand..

Agreed, Ray. If it was in the same ballpark as even a 5D I'd probably take a flyer myself. Actually now I've gone back to using

a Contax G, which I used in the late 90's for a while. I've actually shot with pretty much everything, because I enjoy

acclimating to different lenses and viewfinders and controls. Of course another way of looking at it, I've shot with exactly the

same stuff forever: 35mm film and short, prime lenses, or its digital analogue. It's all good.

A Leica M3 in the 1950's cost more than a new 95 buck Signet 35; or new 195 buck Retina IIIc and all three shot fine images; but the Leica cost a hell of alot more. Its interesting to read how folks new to photography think that Leica is SO expensive; when they have always been; for 7 decades . Maybe folks here will also discover a BMW costs more than a VW too?

Huh? The crop factor on any given camera has nothing to do with the actual size of a sensor. It's a ratio. If you were to say

that a 4/3 sensor is smaller than an APS-C you would be correct, though the difference is pretty marginal. No need to get

immediately defensive, Douglas. Im not attacking your faith in all things Leica.

Hope no one minds my jumping in here with a different question, but it is related to the discussion.

I started looking seriously at the M8 last week.

I was in a camera store on Saturday and spoke to a sales person who claimed that the Leica sensor has MUCH BETTER color rendition

than any other digital camera. He did not say more accurate, or better saturation, just "better".

Can any one tell me if the sensor is superior to others? Is is a difference that would be visual?

Thanks for any and all opinions.