Uck, more Century in the Sierra...

<p>A few more weeks and it's time to get back up into the Sierra landscape. The one thing I really like about backpacking is really feeling imersed in the landscape. I think the part about making photographs just kinda became a way of slowing down and really getting that much deeper. Or it was something to do. Sure slowed me down and made me look at things. The part about actually exposing nice images hasn't come so easy as wanting to. The two images below are early shots that had problems. I finally got a decent scan of these compositions, but the shadows and dark tress still bother me, but such is life trying to shoot slide film in harsh light. but hiking along in the daytime that's about all you get at 10 to 12,000 ft. I took print film last summer and really like the more forgiving latitude for getting into those shadows. But I like these compositions. I really enjoy these areas and have been in them for years, with and without cameras. Climbing, hiking, photography, all good. <br>

This first image is looking back over Granite <br />Park from near Italy Pass. This is an old unmaintained trail which we now consider a semi cross country route as the trail is pretty much a footpath, cairns, and comes and goes in places. One of my favorite walks in the Sierra where I try and get to every year. <br>

I like turning my Century Graphic on its side and composing verticle images quite often with the 103mm Tripotar. The full 6x9 frame allows for the big landscape with a big sky and near forground reasonably well. These little alpine meadows with small streams running through them are at times packed with bright flowers. Though the distant landscape suggests all is rock and barren, the forground contrasts this with flowing water and lush matted vegetation. There are so many lakes it's mind boggling. I know of a couple places where the water slows, is shalow and one can actually enjoy a dip, but more often than not, the water is frigid, and will take your breath away and about all I can handle is getting wet and out imediately and a couple splashes. I figure about 45 degrees average above 9,500 ft. Cold. </p><div>00TOtm-135853684.jpg.eb829125010ba43b265be13d384dfb0a.jpg</div>

<p>Another area I have wandered around numerous times is the Evolution Basin region. This image below was made along a cross country traverse to get into the basin near Evolution Lake. The whole place was crazy with flowers this particular year so I had to try and get some shots. Only acouple turned out, but there were opperator and mechanical errors which rendered most stuff unusable. Live and learn. But trust me on this, it was enough just to be there. But I figured I ought to at least try and get one image on here. Note how dark the trees are in this one and the lack of any detail in the shadows below and in the small shadows edging the rocks in the forground above. Still, nothing to feel all too sorry about. <br>

This image was shot with the 65mm Wollensak Raptar on my Century and has been cropped about 15% due to someone using a hood that made nice dark corners. </p><div>00TOtw-135857684.jpg.8144f810711b0e101372b273ba298b21.jpg</div>

<p>Beautiful SG! I used to drive up via the Northern Rockies during my Summer trips between Detroit and Seattle. US-1 up North was one of the most scenic I have been on. Every few miles it made me stop and behold the changing lights and scenes in Montana. Also followed it up with the Bozeman trail. Did not have a great deal of time though to repeat and pause many of those visits. Sierra Nevada was a shorter visit for me. It was more rugged and drier too. Enjoyed your photos; thanks for the recall. As they say in the Himalayas, "If there was a god this must be his/her abode...". Big IF though, especially by the way humankind is polluting these mountains. regards, sp.</p>

<p>SG, I'm stuck here in my office in the WAY lower level of a building. No windows. It is so refreshing to see big, bright outdoor landscapes shots. Thanks for the lovely mountian views. I lived for years in Gardnerville, NV, near Lake Tahoe, and always enjoyed hiking the mountians. Now here in Kansas, well, lets just say some clever MIT students did a direct comparison and found that Kansas is actually, in fact, flatter than a pancake...sigh.</p>