Tripods

wesleyfarnsworth

Wesley, my suggestion would be to wait to buy a tripod until you have more budgeted for it, unless this is a minor hobby for you and you don't want to invest a lot.

This would be my recommendation for the least expensive tripod to go with, and it's a little over $100. It's not bad for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/VELBON-343E-Lightweight-Photographic-Tripod/dp/B00006HOO1

I highly suggest, though, that you go somewhere where they sell numerous different tripods and try them out for yourself. It's the best way to decide on what is best for you. Only you know what you will be comfortable with.

Thom Hogan wrote an article about how most people try not to spend a lot of money on their first tripod. Then they find out it's not sturdy enough, then buy another one, only to find it's not sturdy enough either. By that time, you've spent enough money to have paid for a really good quality tripod that you should have bought in the first place. I think Thom offers excellent advice. I did just want he wrote about, and learned the expensive way.

Our web site lists 24 full size <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper(ds)&sq=asc&sortDrop=Brand%3A+A+to+Z&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=2635&shs=&at=Price_+40+%3C%3D++%3C%3D+59.99&basicSubmit=Submit+Query">tripods+heads</a> in the 40.00-60.00 price range. <p><a href="mailto:henryp@bhphotovideo.com">Henry Posner</a><br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/"><b>B&H Photo-Video</b></a>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

We've all done things the expensive way. If there's anything an experienced photographer can tell you, it's to

work toward buying things ONCE.

I've had my lifetime tripod (Gitzo 1227) for a few years so I'm not up-to-date on what's a good deal now. I'm

sure others will chime in with what will be a good start.

I did try the Velbon MAXi 343e after Herbert Keppler of Popular Photography wrote about its benefits. For the

gear I used, it wasn't sturdy enough so I returned it before even taking it out for use. I ended up spending an

awful lot more on the perfect tool for the job - a Gitzo 1026 - that has served me well for 7 years now.

As much as I've spent on tripods, I'm happy that I'm now done with it until I can't shoot anymore.

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine. $50.00 to spend? Oh well, I realize some folks have to learn the hard way.

However, there is a tripod that is a pretty good value for the paltry sum you are willing to part with. Its the obsolete Bogen 3001 tripod. Actually, its a sturdy tripod for the money, if you don't extend the column very much and don't expect it to hold your 70-200mm f2.8 steady. But, we don't have to worry about that for a while, do we?

It can be had for a bargain on eBay ($50), sometimes even with the funky 3D head that used to come with it as a kit.

The 3001 is an excellent choice, there may also be a new version but Bogen (now Manfrotto) changed their lineup so I don't know what is what now. I used the 3001 to shoot all the photos on my webpage that I put up 11 years ago. Works great as a travel tripod and is worth the money.

Of course you can get a good tripod for that money. Buncha elitists and spendthrifts here.

I paid $25 for a Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 legset with 3028 Super 3D tilt/pan head, 15 years ago. Ten years ago I paid $15 for a Slik 300DX. (The Velbon magnesium ballhead I swapped out for the original head is another $tory.) Both at pawn shops. Three bucks for an unusual "SafeLok PT" with pneumatic legs at a thrift store. Only tripod I own that's tall enough to reach eye level without forcing me to bend over, comparable in rigidity to a Bogen/Manfrotto 3011 legset.

Shop carefully. You can find excellent buys in good used tripods, which can be beaten with an ugly stick and still be perfectly functional.

BTW, I tried to sell the Bogen/Manfrotto 3001/3028 several months ago for pretty close to what I paid for it, which is a fraction of the new cost. I couldn't believe how many people piddled and piffled and waffled over whether it was a good deal. They probably wound up paying $100 for a Bend-O-Flex Vibropod, but at least it was a new one. After a coupla months I gave up and kept the thing to serve as a stand for my 42" MultiDisc 5n'1 reflector.

Eric, that Velbon MAXi 343e Keppler wrote about? He always stressed it was a compromise tripod. He never claimed it was anything more than that. But because Keppler wrote about it the web suddenly exaggerated and hyped it beyond reason. Next thing you know people were making outrageous claims for it that Herb never did.

Keep in mind that by the time Keppler was writing about his ideal travel tripod he was old enough to find even a moderate tripod heavy to lug around and to have hands shaky enough to require a little help at moderately fast shutter speeds. I'm only 50 and find myself looking for something to lean against whenever using shutter speeds slower than 1/250. That doesn't mean someone should run and blog "Lex Jenkins advocates buying real estate! Claims 'Walls and trees superior to tripods!'"

Same thing happened with those 500/8 preset "girl watcher" lenses. Herb tested 'em and found out they weren't half bad. Next thing you know they're being touted as just shy of something strained through the golden locks of a virgin Rhinemaiden's hair by a flowing stream in Wetzlar.

Hey Wesley,

It looks like you're getting a lot of responses, so I'll be brief. I know what it's like to be on a budget. I am a student myself. A

bogen / manfrotto 3001 is decent and runs about $120 brand new. If you can go for the Bogen 3021. Don't get the digi tripod. If I was in your

shoes I would scope out some used tripods

on ebay because there's not point in getting something "shakey."

maybe you can start with what the $50 can buy and see how it fits your need. I started with an inexpensive tripod, it's one

saving grace was that it was lightweight, which fit my style perfectly. If, after using the thing for a while you find you need

more, then you'll have a rational basis for spending more money (maybe trade in the old one as well). Be careful though, I

have walked away from many a potential tripod purchase because of the bewildering array of choices. Decide, and stick to

your guns (or $50, as it were) ;)

About the minimum priced decent tripods would be a used Bogen 3001, maybe from eBay. I have one and while it has its shortcommings, I have hung onto it even after buying a much more expensive first class Gitzo.

Kent in SD

First, I'll agree with others that eventually you will want to purchase a better tripod than what you can get for $50.

That said, I strongly disagree that a $50 tripod is useless, especially with your lightweight camera and lens (Nikon D80 +

Nikkor 18-135mm zoom lens).

I've used a Slik U9000 tripod and it's a excellent value and very usable with your camera and lens. Is it the best and

most sturdy tripod in the world? Of course not, but it will hold your camera steady in most situations, and it's relatively

lightweight and easy to carry around. You should be able to buy one online for abut $50 and it's well built for its price.

Once you're ready (and can afford) to upgrade your tripod to a better model, I would recommend that you pass over

sturdier (and heavier) aluminum tripods and purchase a good to high quality sturdy and lightweight carbon-fiber tripod and a high-quality ball

head for the carbon-fiber tripod.

But until that time, the Slik U9000 tripod would be a decent and affordable alternative for a lightweight camera and lens

setup.

The worst tripod is A LOT better than no tripod at all. With $50 you'll get a lousy one. Still a lot better than no tripod. Go to a big photo store. See them for yourself and choose the one that you think is best for you. Check the head and the locks. Those are the trickiest parts.

Well I've been gone for 3 days and thanks for all the responces. I bought this tripod http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002XQDSS to hold me over for a while untill i can afford something better. I know I should have waited. But I really needed something to get me by as I'm going north soon and needed one for some family portraits etc. Anyway any thoughts on this tripod? I'm thinking this will work it's a $70 tripod I got for $30 so thats not all bad!

I have never heard of the Opteka brand, so I really can't comment on its quality. Since you only paid $30, you

didn't waste a whole lot of money on it if it turns out to be a dud.

Did you look at the Slik U9000 that I suggested? If the Opteka is built as well as the Slik U9000, then you

should be fine for now. But if it's of lower quality, then just be careful with the tripod so your D80 doesn't

inadvertently topple over because your tripod wasn't steady enough or built well enough to hold the weight of the

D80.