Travelling in USA with digital

matthew_shaw

In September I will spend 4 weeks travelling from San Fran to

Seattle. I will have my EOS10D but don't want to carry laptop & CD

burner. Are any bureaus geared up so that you can come in with a CF

card and do a straight burn of the contents to CD... for about $5?

I normally go to pro shops where they will do it, but your best bet is Ritz or Wolfe cameras (Ritz is nation wide chain in most major US shopping centers; Wolfe is a little more regional with usually larger shops.). You might want to email the stores you will be near and see if they can do it for you

well, i haven't travlled much in the middle of the coutnry, but a lot of Kinko's, some wallgreens, etc have those sony/fuji machines that will read a card in and burn a CD or print photos. The best option is to get a digital wallet. Thats what i do anyway.

I had this done at a Wolf/Ritz in Carmel this Spring, took a couple of hours, cost was about $15-20 as I recall, for a 256MB card, Kinko's in Santa Barbara didn't have the ability, but the basic answer is "yes".

I think some of the drug chains that have photo shops are also geared up to do it, might want to go by one and see. It's getting pretty commonplace

If you are traveling through Salem , OR I believe you will find that Photovison just off the I5 freeway at Market st. can do anythin you want. I have used them for years and they are first rate. In Portland, OR you could try Pro Photo or Camera World. They both have web sites so you could ask ahead. Their is a Kinkos in south Salem on commercial st. that would be easy to get to from the freeway. If you have time checkout Silver Falls State Park near Salem and Silverton, OR 7-10 major waterfalls on a 7 mile trail all very easy travel. a number of them are over 100' and most beautiful.

If you want any more info on the Mid Willamette valley part of Oregon or the Oregon coast feel free to email me direct. I have lived here 46 years and been into photography for 30.<div>005afw-13754684.jpg.935c9c1495da03fae476c401bb28047a.jpg</div>

I believe the WalMarts typically have the capability to do them as well. A lot would depend on your routing. Cities and larger towns, it shouldn't be a problem, rural and remote areas? Quite often they are attuned to self-sufficency, limited local conveniences with major shopping and "services" accomplished on a planned basis on trips to a larger town/city. If you have a lap-top, the convenience factor is significant. Although getting it there with luggage limitations is certainly a problem.

Many thanks for the assistance. Reason why I don't want to carry a laptop is the weight and inconveniance. After all, that's why I dumped my medium format gear & switched to digital...

Just for info, anyone thinking of doing the reverse (i.e travelling in UK), be warned that I only know of a couple of places in London that can do this, even fewer outside.