transferring files from D700 to desktop

mfpow

<p>Hello, <br>

I just bought a D700, upgraded from the D200. With my D200 I had my mac set up so that when I attached the D200 to the mac via a USB cable, the memory card icon would appear on my desktop, I then would drag the folders to a "holding" folder on my desktop and import into lightroom or PS.<br>

With the D700, I've connected the camera to the computer and it is not reading the card, or at least no card icon appears on my desktop. I do not want to use Nikon Transfer or Nikon View if I don't have to, just want my old work flow back. <br>

Any advice?<br>

Thanks!<br>

Matt</p>

<p>Matt,<br>

First I don't have a Mac. I have a PC with Windows XP. But I did have the same issue as you. I upgraded from a D80 to a D700 and was able to access the D80 folder from my PC. I could copy or cut and paste the photo files from the D80 to any folder on my PC. But with my new D700 I am not able to access the folder on the D700. I wrote Nikon about this issue and they replied that I have to use Nikon Transfer software to copy the files. But I could not get Nikon Transfer by it self to transfer the files. I have to use Nikon Transfer from within Capture NX to down load the files. I did find that when I connected the D700 via the same USB cable to my laptop, which has Window Vista, the D700 folder is accessible. So, accessing the D700 folder is operating system dependent. On the laptop I can access the D700 folder just like I could access the D80 folder with Windows XP. Try accessing the D700 via the USB cable on newer Mac OS (if one exist).<br>

Good luck,<br>

Jose'</p>

<p>Matthew, what system do you have?<br>

I have two Macs, one with Leopard and the other with Tiger (I think). In one, I have a card reader, but in the other, with the slightly older system, I simply plug the camera in. The minute the computer reads the camera, Nikon Transfer kicks in and starts a transfer (of course, I have to click the "Transfer" button to complete it). However, I can bypass Nikon transfer and open the camera as if it were a jump drive, then download the photos I want only.<br>

You probably need two things: download the system updates that allow your computer to recognize the D700, and also download the software from the CD you received with the camera, or from the Nikon USA site. I did both things and my machines recognize the camera. Check the Apple website and look for those upgrades. IIRC, they came out in late October or early November. </p>

<p>With 10.4 tiger, I just plug the D700 camera in and the icon appears just like with my D200. There is no Nikon software installed. The first time the Bridge downloader would not work and I had to resort to image capture in the applications section. The next time I used a cheap card reader.<br>

It now appears to work properly straight from the camera. No Nikon software has ever been installed. </p>

<p>This whole thing seems to be a perpetual fight with Nikon cameras. Perhaps they are trying to force you to buy/use their software. I am not changing my workflow and rearrainging my computer to suit them. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Nikon has deliberately crippled their latest models (D90, D700, possibly a few others) in such a way that they no longer identify themselves as "USB mass storage" devices. They now use the less common and needlessly overcomplicated <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol">Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP)</a> , which requires the latest operating system versions or proprietary software. Canon has been using this protocol this for a while as far as I know. I don't know about other DSLR brands.</p>

<p>It's really too bad, because USB MSC is so widely recognized and so easy to work with, where PTP is simply unecessary and exists purely to wrench us over for more money. And, yes, it's deliberate, because, as I said, Nikons previous identified themselves as "external hard drives", so Nikon had to actually go out of its way to remove the chunks of code from their firmware made this functionality work.</p>

<p>Perhaps if enough of us complain to Nikon about it, they'll "uncripple" their firmware.</p>

<p>The alternative is to use a card reader, but that's just inconvenient and disturbs the simple workflow of just plugging in the camera and copying the files using any file manager you want.</p>

<p>isn't the card reader route the best way? (or just better?). saves camera battery, too.<br>

i'm a pc user. newer desktops have always had card readers built in; a problem with cf users with newer laptops in the field/on the go shoots. but then again, there's the usb card reader and pcmcia adapter (the one i use) for this.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses. So with a card reader I would be able to bypass Nikon Transfer and Nikon View?<br>

Also, I've been using Lightroom as my primary editing software, the first version. Do I need to upgrade to LR2 in order use the D700?<br>

Thanks Again!<br>

Matt</p>

<p>I use a card reader too.<br>

But I have another weird deal with the D700 NEF files. They don't display a preview or any pixel dimensions in the folder on my Mac, only 0x0 and a photoshop icon. I am running OSX 10.5.5. Curiously enough, on my Mac at work, running 10.4.11, it will display the previews of the NEF files. Anyone know why this might be happening? I have CS3 installed (CS2 at work) but I don't think that has anything to do with it.</p>

<p>I just bought the card reader and was able to transfer NEF files to my desktop. David, I have same issue where there is no display of the image in the folder, just the file extension and Nikon NEF logo. I would love some help with that to if anyone has any advice?</p>

• 3 months later...