Hey guys I'm hoping somebody on this form can help me bent over on topaz Labs discussion forum and contacted their customer support it's absolutely ridiculous nobody ever answers you I'm tired of it.

I have a laptop I just bought it has an integrated UHD Intel 630 Graphics it also has a Nvidia 1050 Graphics built in. I cannot get topaz Labs Studio to run I've configured it where it's all on the Nvidia 1050 card I've configured it where it's all on the UHD 630 cannot get it to run when I click on the icon it starts and it says welcome to Topaz Labs but it never goes any further it gets stuck there every single time.

There are people on the topaz forums it say they've got it to work don't exactly explain how and nobody seems to answer anybody over there I'm one of there's anybody on this forum that could help me with settings.

I guess this program is very graphically hungry so my Nvidia 1050 card on my laptop is probably the stronger GPU just looking for anybody that is ran into this issue and has fixed it and has it working thank you.

I really love that program it's one of my favorite programs and I may take my laptop back if I can't get it to work my old laptop at work no problem it was slow but it worked I guess this topaz Labs is very the graphic card is very particular what works and what doesn't work they've got a whole list of compatibility uncomn patible their website is a mess and they're not very helpful.

Michael

I wanted to add another thing all my other photo programs and photo to paint programs run perfectly fine zero issues why is it only the topaz Labs has he issue they're just notorious for this stuff it pisses me off because they don't seem to address the issues and I really like the program I just don't like the way they run their business.

I don't like how they run the business either, their marketing is full of BS (JPEG to Raw product) they claim converts a JPEG to raw and allows you to edit it as if it were a raw. Complete nonsense. That said, I've tried a few of the other products and they are impressive. There's also a big sale going on now so I'm on the fence after testing the sharpening and resize produce demo's if I want to buy or not. With what you report about tech support plus the marketing BS, it's a shame I can't decided after the positive results I saw with two demo's. :( Edited by digitaldog
  • Like 1

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

• 2 weeks later...

It looks to me like Topaz have jumped onto the AI Deep Learning bandwagon. So the question is this: can one convert JPEG to RAW?

On a superficial level, the answer is of course YES. They are after all just two different file formats. So then the question becomes is anything gained by doing this? The simple answer is NO. After all, when one edits a JPEG in a photo editor, one is editing in a kind of RAW mode: manipulating an RGB image, and then saving the results backs as JPEG. The point of using RAW is to have access to all the information made available by the camera. But there is a more interesting question: can modern AI Deep Learning techniques be used to recover information that was lost in the RAW to JPEG translation? I would not dismiss this possibly so quickly. However, I would want a lot of evidence that someone had successfully managed to do this.

It's 'artificial' intelligence, not a miracle-working machine!

Reconstructing a higher bit-depth is one thing - basically histogram interpolation - but undoing destructive compression is entirely another matter. There are sharpening and pallette reduction artefacts to undo, which must come down to pure guesswork. Guesswork that's informed by learning what the imaged object should look like admittedly, but guesswork none the less.

So what you end up with is a CGI reconstruction of a generic set of object representations. A kind of enhanced virtual memory of what might have been in front of the lens.

We can't even generate totally convincing CGI games and movies yet. Let alone the nuances of a still image that'll stand up to close and prolonged scrutiny.

Beside which, for me the whole point of photography is its verisimilitude. Do I want a CPU's reconstruction of reality - no thanks!

It's 'artificial' intelligence, not a miracle-working machine!

Beside which, for me the whole point of photography is its verisimilitude. Do I want a CPU's reconstruction of reality - no thanks!

I totally agree but "chacun à son goût". There is a bigger point here which is that it is inevitable that AI is making its way into Digital Photography, and that it will be very disruptive.