Too Many Lenses?...

rafal_m

<p>Greetings Everybody,</p>

<p>Just was going through my shelf of large format lenses recently, and something struck me as very interesting. I'm starting to feel like I may have way too many lenses. Most of the time I'm using either the 135mm or 210mm (on 4x5). While the rest just sit patiently, waiting to be chosen for the next photographic project. Has anyone else felt the same way? More likely a philosophical question then a technical one, but I still find it interesting.</p>

<p>Oh, and for all those that are thinking of helping to relieve me of my "too many lenses" burden. Currently I'm keeping them all. :P</p>

<p>-Rafal</p>

<p>For some reason, I get rid of LF lenses I don't use. I'm not sure why, because I can't have enough Nikon or Hasselblad lenses. My go-to lenses are my 65mm f/8, 90mm f/8, and 210mm f/5.6. I have faster versions of the first two, but I should sell them because they're too big to comfortably use in the field. My 300mm doesn't get too much use, and my 150mm Claron is used a lot with smaller films in my cameras, such as a 6x7 or 6x9 roll film backs, or instant film. That's all I currently own, so I don't think I'm burdened at the moment. I do toy with getting another 75mm lens.</p>

<p>I saw an interview with Brett Weston once, where he talked about this. He said something to the effect that you want to keep the number of lenses down, because using a lot of them confuses your photographic vision. I can sort of identify with that.</p>

<p>Yes, I do have too many lenses in barrel only, although my shuttered lens collection is pretty rational. I cannot resist picking them up if I see them going cheaply. I suppose it's a cross between a rescue service and ensuring that I have something suitable should some future project arise.</p>

<p>A lens is a tool (assuming you take pictures with them).</p>

<p>Any craftsman will tell you that the best possible results are achieved when you use the right tool for the job.</p>

<p>I shot slides for many decades, both 35mm and MF, so my lens sets in both formats are pretty complete.</p>

<p>My LF kits are set up similarly, with 14 different lenses in the 4x5 kit. I shoot chromes in 4x5 and 8x10 also.</p>

<p>- Leigh</p>

<p>In the spirit of Brett Weston's comment shared by Dave Sims, one of my favourites is by Jonathan Eastland, author of The Leica M Compendium, on the subject of choosing lenses, "If you can't dig any deeper into your pocket, dig deeper into your imagination."<br>

But of course if you already have the lenses, I don't see why you should sell anything off, at least not until you find there is something you really want, and have decided that another you have is not needed any more, and you could use the cash. I have different types of lenses for very different applications, and am reluctant to let anything go. I will buy a better 90mm some day, but will keep the Angulon, simply because it came with the original Technika outfit. It won't sell for much, and it takes up very little space, so it stays home. ;-)</p>

<p>Lenses are easy to want. I regret having sold many in the past. Its tough to pass up a good deal on glass and redirectt resources (money) to buy what may be really deeded next such as a set of lights. Yet today, in the current state of the LF world and the general economy, I cannot find a buyer for a good vintage (mid-1980s) Shneider 210mm. </p>

<p>My 6x12cm kit has seven lenses while the larger camera kit has six. Many folks would say this is too many but I want a lot of versatility. In my defense... two of the lenses are shared between both kits. I only worry about image quality, focal length and coverage. I don't have any special purpose lenses because I can pretty much duplicate any "old school" image effects digitally. All other lenses I have sitting around are definitely for sale with no regrets.</p>