To become a photographer in London - where to start?

Hello!

I'm a photographer from Sweden who has recently moved to London to continue my carrier. But where to start. In

Sweden I have been a freelancer, but here I want to get a "real" job. What do I need, where do I go?

I think it would be great working as a assistance to learn more, is that a good idea? Or is it just waste of

time? How do I become an assistant?

All help is highly appreciated!

Regards,

Lasse Edfast

0750 - 544 34 22

• 4 weeks later...

I am in the same situation. I just came to a totally different country, and it seems my husband wants to stay here- - his

home. I approve to that. Now, where to start? First, start off with the language. Learn the language. That's for me, as

they generally speak their language here, and I want my clients to be at ease with me. For you, study how they

communicate. It will help you get accustomed to the place, the culture, the people, and that's gonna help you in finding

your community- - photographers and artists community. Second, decide which direction you want to take your

photography career to. Fine art, wedding, advertising, everything? Decide whether you want to make it a business or an

art, or in my case, both. Do you want to have a darkroom, or fully digital, or both? Third, make a portfolio. Go around and shoot. Dig in to

your past works and compile everything- - may it be in a website, a cd, and/or prints. Fourth, learn new things about photography. Go

around London and look at photo galleries, get a sense of their visual language. Read books, websites, learn new software. If you feel

that you need a mentor, then go be an assistant. If you want to explore on your own and you feel you have the skills

already, then just keep creating. Shoot, edit, or shoot and print. Just don't be stagnant. From there, you will know where to go.

May be, since we are in the same situation, this will help you. I have decided to make a business out of photography, and more so, my

art. I cannot go be an assistant, because I don't speak their language yet, so I am studying the language. I feel that I really

don't need a mentor, but I keep studying and researching about photography. I have invested on Macs and a digital

camera, and we intend to add more investment for a professional studio. In my case, I have my husband with me, as he

is also a photographer. I go around and shoot, practicing on new software, and putting together a portfolio and a

business plan. It's quite a lot of mental work, it could get taxing, but we know where we want to go, and that goal keeps

us going. If you are doing this on your own, be brave. Know your goal well, and then make each step towards that goal.