Tips for my new Canon EOS Rebel XSi/EOS 450D

tonycarlson

<p>I have always loved photography. I have spent years using a Fuji Finepix point and shoot. I just recently recieved (as a gift) a Canon EOS Rebel XSi/EOS 450D with a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens and a EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 Zoom. I have been practicing and there is obviously a lot to learn (as in bells a whistles) compared to the old point and shoot. So I would like to ask what is the most potential I can get out of this camera? What can it do best? I do enjoy nature photography, portraits and, since my 5 year old is starting soccer, would like to give sports a go as well. Any tips? Thanks</p>

<p>Tony, your new gear gives you a lot of control and will work in many circumstances. Take your time and try to learn about all of features one by one (the manual is your friend). Get out of the house and shoot, shoot, shoot! Then go home and review your shots on the computer. The more you shoot, the more you'll learn, and the more you learn, the more you'll be able to do.</p>

<p>shoot in "P" or auto mode then take the same shot in M (manual) but vary the aperture, shutter speed and ISO and see the changes. With sports/action shots experiment using Tv mode (shutter priority) and "AI servo" tracking. Get an external flash, - also check out your local library for photography books !<br>

- a spare battery that's cheaper than Canon (but just as good) -<br>

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20710</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"Ditto" as Dan indicated . . . "The manual is your friend."<br>

The "User's Manual" supplied with your camera is probably one of the quickest, and most convenient sources of information on the operation of your gear, and most Canon manuals will contain "photography basics" while describing individual features of the Camera body & lens.<br>

My first SLR was a Canon AT-1 (All manual, nothing automatic) back in the mid-seventies. From it's User Manual is where I basically learned about all that is required to "control the light" (f-stop or Aperture, Shutter Speed, Depth of Field, ISO or Film Speed etc., etc.).<br>

I didn't just browse through the User Manual, I actually "trial & errored" each and every feature the manual described, and studied it thoroughly. Sure, you can purchase one of those "Learn all you need to know about photography books" but, they will speak in generalities and most likely will not be specific to <strong><em>your gear</em></strong>. Your manual will not only describe what the Depth of Field preview button's function is, but also where it's located on your XSi.<br>

Since the AT-1 I have had the AE-1, A-1, Elan 7e, EOS-3 and now have a 50D. I <strong><em>always</em></strong> make the User's Manual part of the "packed gear" in my bag. "You never know when you will come upon a situation where you might want to change one of the "Custom Functions" you have previously set to suit the need's of your current adventure!" I even carry the User Manual's for some of my Lens(es) that have additional features. Maybe it's an "age thing" but, I forget which IS setting is for Panning.<br>

Oh yeah, and as a side note; My P&S Fuji Finepix F45 is also part of my "packed gear" in the bag!<br>

I'm still studying the 50D's manual! These newer digital bodies have a lot to learn about above and beyond "basic photography!"<br>

Best wishes,<br>

Jim J.</p>

<p> </p>

<p ></p><div>00W0on-229665584.thumb.jpg.4a958f23b93ef48185d2aaa47148546d.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>Get out of the house and shoot, shoot, shoot!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Very valuable advice indeed, but be sure to <em>take your time</em> and pay attention to the <em>quality</em> of your shots and not just the quantity. If you go on a hike, take some time to just stand still once in a while and appreciate the surrounding area. Take your time and think about the scene. When your ready to take a shot, ask yourself some questions about it. Is the subject framed how you would like? Would the lighting be better from a different angle? Should you try to get down on your knees (or even your stomach) for a dramatic angle, or maybe find a high vantage point?<br>

For sports, try finding a spot where action happens frequently (like near a goal for soccer) and keep near it instead of trying to run around the field chasing the players. If you're out of breath from running around it will be harder to hold the camera still.<br>

Like the others said, you should definitely read those manuals all the way through. Also, read the tutorials here and on other photo sites. There is a lot of great info on the web!<br>

Most importantly: when you don't understand something, ask! There are a lot of really great folks on here who will be more than happy to help!<br>

Happy Shooting!<br>

-Jordan</p>