Tile ad, p.net recommendation of what?!

geoffs1

<p>I don't normally pay much attention ot the tile-ads on the side of the fourum pages, but this one just made me wonder about the folks paying attention to the photo.net "brand reputation".</p>

<p>The headline is "PHOTO.NET STORE - Great Products. Best Prices", so it's clear there is an pretty strongly implied endorsement of the item in the ad. </p>

<p>The item is a Phoenix 28-210mm lens... hmmmmm...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Photo.net doesn't select the items. The ads are provided by an outside agency.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I understand the way the ads are delivered and the random nature of the individual items shown. My comment was only about the implication (from the header text) that photo.net thinks the Phoenix lens is a "Great Product" and the impact that this kind of exposure would have on the overall reputation of photo.net over time. </p>

<p>FWIW, I could care less about the general perception of photo.net (I have no stake in the enterprise), I just thought it might be helpful to point out that this ad format does send some unexpected messages.</p>

<p>It may well be a great product for the price. I haven't tested one so I don't know. The Phoenix 105mm macro was actually pretty good lens.</p>

<p>I get your point of course, but I'm not sure where the line should be drawn. Obviously there is a line somewhere.</p>