Those of you with Big Canon Glass Should Check Out This Sony Thread

dcstep

• 2 weeks later...

Sony has impressive IS an IQ. I have looked at the Sony A7 ii and A7s ii in camera shops. The menu system and just using it seemed to me to be too much of a learning curve and awkward. Not sure how long it would take me to instinctively operate the camera on the fly. I have been shooting with Canon's for a long time. I know my 5D MK IV layout so well it is hard to walk away. Wish the Canon 5D MK IV was 50 Megapixel and did not have the image softening antialiasing filter and ISO and dynamic range of the new Sony Sensors. That would be a winning combo. The new Nikon D850 looks impressive and uses Sony Sensors. But I am happy with the 5D MK IV IS and love the layout and focusing system.

As far as the 100-400 MK I, it is a good lens, but I traded mine in after I got the Sigma 150-600 C. I get more reach and a little faster focus and a bit sharper on my Canon.

Back on the Sony. There is a temptation to pick up a Sony and Metabones adapter, but then I think to myself. Why? I have great lenses and the Canon 5D MK IV allows me to get awesome images. I am not going to get to upset that the other teams have gotten a slight edge on tech specs. Still I enjoy reading about them and am a little envious Lol.

It's a little like cars and motorcycles. I enjoy reading about them and the specs, but I can't own them all. ;-)

• Like 1
Cheers, Mark

Mark, I just got back from 11-days in France. The 5D MkIV took all the shots and the a9 stayed home. The 5DS-R was in the bag, but I didn't pull it out. The only place that the a9 is "superior" is in AF, which for a bird-in-flight shooter is a very big event. In practice, the 5D4 has superior dynamic range and slightly cleaner files.

As for the Sigma 150-600mm vs. the Canon 100-400mm, I think you're right, when comparing the Series I 100-400mm, but the IQ of the Series II blows away the Sigma. Look at DxOMark and other sources for validation, but I've seen it in my files. The Sony G-Master 100-400mm is even slightly better.

I think that a Canon shooter is only gaining from picking up an a9, if AF is very critical in their shooting. If so, then it's almost a "must have". For everything else, the 5D4 is superior, IME. Not scientific, but which one does the experienced photographer grab for which situation? I grab the a9 for BIF and wildlife. I grab the 5D4 for EVERYTHING else. Waiting on the a9R...

• Like 1