Theatre Photography Lens Suggestions?

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I'm doing lots of theatre photography at the moment and am looking for suggestions of the next lens I could get to help me with this.</p>

<p>I shoot on my Nikon D90 and always use my 24 to 70 f2.8. I have my 30mm f1.4 with me but I don't use it as I never feel it's versatile enough for me... plus I'm nervous about missing something in swapping over!</p>

<p>On the whole I'm happy with what I'm getting but I'd love any of your suggestions to see where I can go to next lens-wise.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>Ellie xx</p>

<p>Why do you need a new lens if you're happy with what you're getting? The only reason to get another lens is if you aren't getting good enough results. I shoot theater primarily with a 24-70/2.8, but have also been shooting from the sound booth more recently, where I need a 70-200. However, without that special seat, I wouldn't need the longer lens.</p>

<p>No, the f2.8 zoom lenses are the best compromise for versitility plus speed, though I normally use the 70-200 since I tend to sit farther back. I also use a Sigma 50-150 f2.8 if I need a wider view, but it lacks a dedicated tripod mount so it's slower to turn from vertical to horizontal.</p>

<p>It depends a lot on the size of the theatre, whether it's live performance, where you're positioned, and what kind of pictures you want to take. I find a 35mm, a 50mm and occastionally a 105mm pretty much cover it. If you're wanting to crop on the expressions on people's faces during live performance though you might need something longer.</p>

<p>For performances when an audience was present, I usually shot from the tech booth or behind the audience (using a sound muffling blimp) and found either a fast 70-200mm or 180/2.8 to be about right for 35mm film. With an APS sensor dSLR the 180/2.8 might be a bit long from that distance, depending on the theater.</p>

<p>The only time I've ever used a shorter lens was for rehearsals or, if from the audience seating area, when I used a virtually silent camera like a P&S digicam. From that perspective a fast midrange zoom (in 35mm film equivalence) would be handy.</p>

<p>Take a 70-200/2.8 along. I cannot do any worthwhile theatre work without it, even though I don't always zoom to 200mm. But that is just my experience and my POV.</p>

<p>In fact I'm considering the Sigma 120-300/2.8. But if the D800 is 36Mpx and I do buy one, the pixel count will still allow 12Mpx+ crops from 200mm to emulate 300mm. But then again, what's the point of all those pixels if I'm wasting them?</p>

<p>If I'm shooting at a rehearsal and am allowed up on stage among the actors, I'll often use my 16-35 to produce a view of the performance rarely seen. </p>

<p>If I'm not allowed up on stage, but can approach it, say, during a dress rehearsal, with the OK of the director/producer/etc., I try to stake out a front row center seat for easy access to my gear. I usually have two bodies at the ready, one with my 28-70/2.8 and one with my 80-200/2.8. </p>

<p>Since common photographic problems for shooting theatrical productions are excessive contrast and wildly gelled lights, when I'm shooting rehearsals, I almost always use a hotshoe flash, gelled for tungsten to lightly fill in the deep shadows and add a low level of broad spectrum fill light in scenes using strong gels.</p>

<p>Occasionally, I will be called upon to supply in-costume shots of individuals. In these cases, during a dress rehearsal, I will set up an area (nearby, but out of the main flow of traffic) with strobes, reflectors, etc. and grab these individuals when they have a free moment.</p>

<p>During regular performances, I really dislike telephoto views from the back of the house, and rarely shoot these. However, I will use the same bodies/lenses/flash mentioned above to capture end-of-play events such as curtain calls, recognition of the director / producer / choreographer / etc., backstage and lobby conversations and other action during intermission, etc. During regular performances, if I am allowed, and if there are some shots that I didn't get at rehearsals (eg, an understudy is unexpectedly called into action), I might take some shots from the wings. I try to synchronize such shots with peaks in action/sound and never have had a complaint from anyone so I don't have to use a blimp.</p>

<p>HTH,</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<blockquote>

<p>when I'm shooting rehearsals, I almost always use a hotshoe flash</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I forgot to comment on this. We all work differently of course, but I have never used a flash (I work as if I'm on a film set, minus the blimp). As it happens the theatre company I shoot for does not allow flash photography. But even if it did I wouldn't use it. That is not a recommendation to anyone - that's just how I shoot.</p>