The Wards Camera Catalog: 1938

New blood to a Classic Camera forem How intreaging. LOL Some of the best and lost classics were sold by Sears and Wards J.C. Penny only sold name brands. Tower Cameras From the Folders to Plastic were top rate. and they even had an interchanageable lens line ... Many Sears Screw mount lenses were made by a company that was famous for their screw mount. and not the German company.

Great ads. That was fun to look through.

Unfortunately I don't own any of the cameras, but I do own one of the external rangefinders they showed on page 8 ("B" to be exact). First time I've ever seen it other then the one I own (got it in a box of stuff from a local auction).

Thanks,

Alan

Neat stuff Danny, as an interesting little tidbit, it was Aaron Montgomery Ward who fought hard to have Chicago's downtown Lake Michigan shoreline wind up as the beautiful park it is and not just railroad yards and industrial frontage. Spent many a happy afternoon there when I lived in Chicago in the 70's. Prices look cheap now but back then were likely to be a full weeks wages or more for many of the cameras listed. Now.....if I only had a time machine....

Consider that $126 Retina II price when a NEW car could be had in 1938 for about $500 to $600. Makes it clear that a $3300 Leica M7 is not so insane in comparison to historical prices, as you can just barely buy a new car for $13,200. It's just that all the other cameras got so much cheaper due to technical innovation...

Also interesting to see the Bantam Special cheaper than the Retina. Not anymore.

Am I to understand that film speed units were "Westons" before the days of ASA?

I saw an external rangefinder at an antique shop about a year ago. Have to admit I did not connect it with photography. I was thinking survey work or maybe sighting in a mortar.

John, if you think the Retina was expensive, I have seen other catalogues showing the Zeiss Ikon Contax rangefinders selling for $200-300 (depending on 50mm lens) in 1938!

That was a fun read, too bad no cameras in there that I own.

According to the Inflation Calculator, the Retina II would be $1621.81! Although that's about the price for an 8MP DSLR with lens, so it's not too different. Some of the lesser cameras equate to today's prices of the P&S digitals and such. When one looks at prices, I can really see why Argus held the 35mm market.

One interesting thing is that film costs $0.27 for 127 and $0.32 for 120/620. That's about $3.48 and $4.12 respectively. My how film has actually come down a smidge. ;) I also wonder how many Kodachrome users were out there at that time. I mean, 18 exposures was $2.29 including processing which equates to about $29.48! I can see why it never caught on with the average user for some time.

By the way, if anyone wants to know where I got these numbers, check out this nifty tool. http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Great book and thanks for sharing! Perhaps once I get my scanner, I should scan this old trade stamp catalog my dad has, though that's about 25 years after this catalog. ~_^

Just great stuff. I was surprised to see Albany listed on the cover as a Catalog Center. I pass by that enormous building everyday--long since a converted multi-office/warehouse complex. That's probably the last time Albany was ever listed as a regional center for anything.

I know that Wards offered Leicas and Rolleis in the early 50s.

Cheers,

Ray Hull