The Ultimate Optimas

<p>In the mid 1970's, with the sale of European cameras diminishing in the flood of Japanese innovation, Agfa-Gevert AG Munchen must have decided to make a last-ditch attempt to face up to the competition. Bravely, they discarded most of their current designs and created an entirely new range of cameras, featuring the distinctive red "Sensor" shutter release, a soft membrane covering a very sensitive trigger. I've chosen to feature the Flash because it's design included a built-in flash, an innovation shared by few cameras of that era, that set the pattern for a generation of point-and-shoot cameras to come. This flash lifts up high enough to reduce the red-eye potential which plagued later compact cameras, but had the disadvantages of clunky operation, increased size and manufacturing complexity.</p>

<p>The Optima Sensor cameras were designed from scratch, possibly by the same team who produced the beautiful Plaubel Makina, and represent a marvelous era of German industrial design, with the emphasis on ergonomics and performance, combined with the minimalist beauty that practical and efficient design bestows upon a product. Comparisons with the Rollei 35 are sometimes made, and I can see a similarity of thought, and build quality. This Flash was manufactured in Germany, but apparently many of the other models were made in a designated Optima plant in Portugal.</p><div>00ZyFa-439555684.jpg.0b72b7328b59b844dbfea9e0b67cc8a2.jpg</div>

<p>There were several Optimas in the range, of which I have three. The most sought-after model is the 1535 with it's coupled rangefinder, but I suspect I'll never own one. An international search I mounted on the big auction site over a period of several months turned up very few for sale, and none with a start price of less that $150... I have a 1035, virtually the same specifications as the Flash but without the flash, and the "Sensor" or 535, with a slightly less advanced shutter and reputedly lesser-grade lens coatings.</p>

<p>Here are some of the specifications of the Flash, mostly shared by the other Optimas in the range.<br /><br />Huge reverse Galilean viewfinder with brightlines, probably the best I've encountered. It's like looking out of a window at the world beyond. A red LED in the viewfinder indicates underexposure.<br /><br />Fully coated Agfa 45mm Color-Solitar lens, an extremely sharp 4-element f2.8, and a programmed Paratronic shutter with speeds from 1/45 to 1/1000. Other models provide an increased range of lower speeds, but I guess the designers figured that the flash would take over when the going got tough.<br /><br />An excellent film quick-load system with the bottom spindle dropping down as the back opens. Agfa borrowed a Rapid design feature and the film leader is inserted into a covered take-up compartment where it coils itself and is protected, albeit briefly, in the case of the back being accidentally opened. A little rewind button on the top deck reverses the direction of travel of the winding system, so the advance lever then becomes the rewind lever. Smart, space-efficient, and practical.<br /><br /><br /> <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /></p>

<div>00ZyFe-439557684.jpg.8dee252e749c8c4e061779691b2c103a.jpg</div>

<p>Zone focusing with people and mountain symbols and feet/metres, and a clever little film counter which changes the number when the shutter is tripped. Another nice design feature is the rotating strap lugs that help prevent strap hang-ups and twists; how cunning is that! It's a very small camera, measuring 118x86x59mm with flash folded, and weighs about 350 grammes.</p><div>00ZyFh-439557884.jpg.a47d8013eec827f5b19ce67fb2dd1ca8.jpg</div>

<p>The build quality is just great, with an all-steel chassis, and plastics used only where they do the job better than metal, not as a cost-cutting measure. It's a heavy little nugget of a camera, finished in a pleasant sort of matt crackle texture. It has the charm of all small, well-built cameras, sitting beautifully in the hand. From my point of view, it's the street-shooter par excellence, the shutter being practically inaudible. The Flash runs on two AAA batteries., while the others in the range use three 1.5 volt button cells. As an ironic footnote, when the production run ended, the production tools were sold to a Chinese company and a slightly modified Flash reappeared as the Quingdao 6.</p>

<p>How does it perform? Impeccably, in my experience; the lens is truly excellent, the Paratronic shutter, developed over a decade of earlier Optimas, is well-nigh infallible, and it's just about the most reliable and fuss-free camera I own. Not far short of brilliant; here are a few pics from a Superia 400 film, but this size really doesn't do them justice. Scans from an Epson V700.</p>

<div>00ZyFi-439559584.jpg.0afc2632c1af1562525d386ba1af8fe1.jpg</div>

<p>Brilliant Rick, you have a real feel for colour and those Optimas a really sweet. Back in the day when I was in retailing for a while, I remember the Optimas coming in and being impressed by the unusual design.<br>

We always had trouble selling them though, I don't know why because the optics were excellent and so was the viewfinders. That red dot sensor release that was a feature of Agfa cameras at that time, is really nice to use, and quite unique. Got to love the noise that they make as well!<br>

Tony</p>

<p>Given my great admiration for you superb use of colour, i am a little surprised that "once was a cafe" is my favourite this time around! Great shots as always!</p>

<p>Its funny, I looked at the photos before I read the posts and thought to myself "hmmm... mid 70's! really?!" Aside from its obvious film camera identity, the design aesthetic would not be out of place at all right now - over a decade into the 21st century (by the way, where is my god-damned jet pack?! huh!? This century is a false advertised ripoff!!! but I digress... ;) ). It looks like Canon designers borrowed heavily from these cameras in their range of the over-grown point and shoots, and many of today's cameras of that ilk look like they are not far removed. This truly speaks to the excellence of the design, as few things truly "age well". The classics we all love are appealing precisely because they are timeless, and they look a certain way - their ability to proudly wear their age on their sleeve is the very thing that makes them so remarkable, but there is something to be said for a design that is actually ahead of its time. Hmmm.... ages well... Few things do. I know I didn't :)</p>

<p>Hi Rick,<br>

I bought the same Sensor as your's on EBay several years ago. It appeared to be in great condition and I like to use it except for a serious problem. The transparencies (two rolls, developed at different times) come back with a very uniform silvery color across all the entire images. I can't find a light leak anywhere so the cause is unknown. Here is a website with info - http://www.edition-oldenburg.de/agfa_optima.html - . There appear to be several lenses across the range of models, an Agnatar, a Solitar, a Color Solitar, and a Solitar S. Someday I hope to find an affordable Sensor 1535, which appears to be the top of the line.</p>

<p>I saw this earlier, but wasn't sure if you had finished posting or not. As always, I love your use of color, and the B&Ws are great too. Who would have thought such a little camera would be capable of such fine results. However, just about any camera seems to perform well in your hands.<br>

Keep up the good work! :)</p>

<p>Rick -- wonderful post and images. You have no idea how long I have lusted after one of those. A few years ago, I was given a box of "stuff" and in there was an an Optima Sensor kit. I was really excited, but alas, batteries had badly corroded the electronics and I never was able to get the camera to work. The cameras are pleasingly designed, and seem to be rather uncommon in the US.</p>

<p>Thank you all for taking the time to respond. You're right about the distinctive shutter sound, <strong>Tony</strong>, a funny little squeal that would strike terror into the heart of a Canon AE1 user...In terms of design and appearance I thinks these Optimas were way ahead of their time. Thanks for the compliments, <strong>Richard,</strong> it's nice to feel apreciated, and <strong>Charles</strong>, your problem sounds mysterious in the extreme. The site you mention is one of the few sources of information available. <strong>Peter</strong>, what more can I say? You're right about the jet-packs, of course, and I'm still waiting for the tractor-beam...We don't necessarily have to age gracefully, just so long as we age.</p>

<p>Thanks, <strong>JDM</strong> and <strong>August</strong>, always good to know you both approve! And good luck with your quest, <strong>Mark</strong>; they're not too hard to come by, other than the elusive 1535 rangefinder.</p>

Looking at the pictures of the various models I see a rather silvery appearance of the lens, which mine also has. Looking at mine, the material of the lens mounting behind the first element and also what I can see of the front surface of the shutter blades appears to be a natural silvery metalic color with no black coating applied. I don't know if this is a manufacturing error or not but it may contribute to my problem.