The Tri-Lauser'd Lustreflex

<p>This is my Lustreflex, an Ebay acquisition, one of the very many Japanese TLR's based loosely on the Rolleicord. It's in rather nice condition. Taking and viewing lenses are Tri-Lausers, although the upper lens marked Viewer, is different from the taking lens.</p><div>00dWjs-558754384.jpg.8ebfc8cc6d22d66d4831ed31de1706a1.jpg</div>

<p>It's a decent lens, I must say. I think you're correct thinking the lousy attitude came from the name. On another note, Is anyplace safe from the tagging and graffiti? These morons should have the word MORON tattooed on their forehead if caught. How can someone take their turf and make it look so damn crappy. Like we want to see their drivel plastered on every nook and cranny.</p>

<p>"Tri-Lausar" doesn't bring to mind "lousy" for me; I think "three-time loser." But either way, it's right up there among daft lens names with "Lentar" (think: "slow" as in French <em>lent</em>, Spanish <em>lento</em>, etc.) and "Cassar" (think: "broken" as in French <em>casser</em><em>, </em>to break).<br>

Anyway, the Tri-Lausar actually looks like a winner based on your pictures, at least among lenses of that simplicity and on a camera that had, I'm guessing, only a two-figure £ price tag.<br>

<em>--Dave</em></p>

<p>Nice demonstration of an unusual camera, <strong>John</strong>. The Tri-Lausar, of course, was a triplet lens manufactured by the Tomioka Optical Company under a vast variety of names, and was used on many of these Japanese Rollei-clones. The Yashicor used on the Yashica TLRs would be one that springs to mind, and I think the rather nice Beautycord used one. Your pics certainly demonstrate that the lens is no slug! Thanks for an interesting post.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"These morons should have the word MORON tattooed on their forehead" <strong><em>Ken J.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I can certainly understand the force of your feelings on this issue.<br /> With so many societal ills, this one would be very easy to solve.</p>

<p>The parents can "<em>nip it in the bud</em>".<br /> Include the family of these hoodlums in the <strong>harsh</strong> punishment in the aftermath of their crime. Make <strong>them pay or be in debt</strong> for not monitoring or raising them correctly. Believe me, in a short period of time <strong>the word will get out</strong> to the present & future parents; that <strong>they</strong> will also be held responsible for their unmonitored & disrespectful children's crime on society...</p>

<p>I agree, it looks like Yashica was also busy building for other nameplates...</p>

<p>Thanks to all for the comments. I recall reading somewhere that the Lausar wes originally a copy of the four element Tessar. The cheaper triplet developed from it was the Tri-Lausar.</p>

<p>I agree wholeheartedly about graffiti, but there's a sequel to the story. I went back to the location on Sunday with a digital camera and found that the graffiti has been covered by some very striking and vigorous wall art, reflecting the nature of the wildlife and the name of the place. Here's a rather poor picture of it. I also took some closer views of the imagery, while risking stepping backwards and ending up in the canal.</p><div>00dWlz-558758284.jpg.f5e04f28ba9d70f1c53d54e6dc17ede2.jpg</div>

<p><strong>Rick</strong>, funny you should mention the Beautycord. My better half has me looking for a user Beautyxxxx TLR of almost any kind, because she's afraid to take out my "expensive" Rolleiflex (a user 2.8E -- reasonably valuable, but not like say a late-model 2.8GX) <em>and </em>she finds the Beautyxxxx names to be appealingly fun for a girl camera. Corny, I say, but if it will get a TLR into her hand, I'm out there looking for one. I'm not sure the Beauty<em>flex </em>gets me Tomioka glass, or whether that's only on the Beauty<em>cord</em>, but I suspect either one will be reasonably competent, for a fair price, like most Japanese TLRs of the time.<br>

<em>--Dave</em></p>

<p>Nice images, John. The lens seems to be a capable performer. Shame about the film spacing issues. Maybe it was just a piece of dirt or debris in the mechanism that has worked it's way out. I'm glad they covered the graffiti with art. It looks much better that way.</p>

<p>Nice one John. So many Japanese Rollei clones, and they all seem to acquit themselves rather well. Your pics look quite sharp, with good colour, so this three element is no slouch....looks like a great place to try out your new toys as well. Thanks for the heads up on the Lustreflex....nice name that too!</p>