The Relatively Unknown Acon

<p>It's something of a rare beast, certainly the only one I've seen. It's also the only one I've seen offered for sale; it was described as an "Acorn" which possibly defeated any standing searches that might have existed at the time. The Acon was manufactured in Japan somewhere around 1956-58 by the Ars Optical Company, which seems to have disappeared without trace. A quick search of the name revealed a manufacturer of sunglasses in Italy and a spotting scope factory in China, but no obvious connections with the Acon. There are three other cameras accredited to Ars Optical that I've unearthed; an Acon Model I, an Acon Model IIL and a Sky 35 Model II, which may be the same camera as this, but I can find no images or descriptions of the other two. There was also a Japanese manufacturer named Ars Seiki Kōgyō K.K., ( Ars Precision Industries) , who made a beautiful rollfilm camera named the "Tomy", with a "Z" shaped folded light path, but again there seems to be no connection with the Acon. There's also apparently a firm of opticians called Ars Optical in Florida.....<br /> <br />It's a very small camera, measuring only 120mm wide by 80mm high by 80mm deep, and it was imported into the U.S.A. by Burke and James Inc.of Chicago. I have no idea if it was a commercial success, but there don't seem to be large numbers in existence, anywhere. I really admire the emphasis on no-frills quality that the designers and manufacturer came up with, the high standards of materials, production and finish resulting in classically-proportioned little rangefinder camera that handles very well indeed. It certainly has the clean and uncluttered design of a thoroughbred.</p><div>00YwKo-372703584.jpg.d8433df1bbd9a66991c3bf35e6050827.jpg</div>

<p>Mechanical, it's disarmingly simple. No luxuries like rapid film wind; you rotate the chunky film wind knob it stops, cock the Signa shutter with the cocking lever and you're ready for action. There is an interlock to prevent double exposures. Speeds from 1/10th to 1/200th are available, plus B, and the handsome front-mounted shutter release is a masterpiece of smooth clickery. Focusing is quick with a very bright rangefinder spot and good chunky focus lever which moves through only about 80 degrees of arc, shifting the whole lens and shutter assembly. The camera is startlingly heavy for it's size, and everything moves with a smooth precision. The lens is a 45mm Vita Anastigmat f3.5, stopping down to f/16, and appears to be of triplet construction with very superficial coatings. Stopped down to beyond f/5.6, it's very sharp indeed, relatively flare-free, and vignettes very slightly.</p><div>00YwKp-372705584.jpg.b791eea9c6d1c230c5489611b01a5d2a.jpg</div>

<p>Film loading is of the pre-hinged-back variety, the whole base and back of the camera being secured by a nicely-machined knob on the base plate. The interior of the camera is very tidy, finished in matt black with the odd piece of brass visible. The film rewind release is the rather shapely knob adjacent to the film wind, and the film counter has to be re-set after loading.</p><div>00YwKr-372707584.jpg.97784cf4c81ea39e69eca11def75384d.jpg</div>

<p>I ran a Kodak Gold 200 through the camera for a change, not a film I'd generally use but since I've been presented with a dozen well-stored cassettes of an earlier vintage it seems a shame not to use them up. I was pleased with the results; it's a basic little camera I can find no practical use for, but I find it a joy to behold. Scans from the Fuji Frontier.</p><div>00YwKv-372709584.jpg.8051108c25ce516ef2896cf820105059.jpg</div>

<p>There always seems, I find, a certain joy in using a simple camera. Same with design, the simpler the better. This camera appears to have simplicity as it's hallmark. Topped off by a simple lens and shutter, I can see your attraction to it. It appears well made and it clearly works well. Ents and Walnuts show off the lens abilities nicely. Thank you for showing us this little beauty from your....ahem.... meager collection. </p>

<p>Rick, what an elegant little machine that Acon is! I can certainly understand why you enjoy it as much as you do, it seems like a case of simplicity meeting quality, which I think is really design at its best. I particularly like the front view, it just says "camera" to me, but it looks like a man of few words wearing an tailored suit. Very nice!</p>

<p>The images are wonderful as always, and its hard to pick a favourite - but "Afternoon" really stuck with me and I found myself looking at it again and again - there is a sense of motion in it that's really sublime given the static nature of the subject matter. Kudos on the composition there, its a stunner in my eyes. "where the water goes" really caught my eye too, and I think the sharp textures of the concrete around the metal grate really show off the lens. Wonderful work regardless of camera - but it seems that this Acon really just gets out of your way and lets you take the photo you want.</p>

<p>Quotable Quote:</p>

<p>"...masterpiece of smooth clickery..." :D </p>

<p>love it:)</p>

<p>I some times dream that you may have a secret workshop in your backyard where you fabricate these exotic wonder cameras! :) Beautiful pictures as usual. Love that line of dry wind breakers over the green acres. Can one tell if the horses are young or old? I am not familiar with horses' life cycle. It is a genuine question.<br>

Like the building entrance with the MM figurine; adds a bit of humour. Thanks for the post. sp.</p>

<p>Such an elegant little camera. I wonder if such a compact body and fine lines would appeal to the style conscious couples of the 50's and 60's. The lens seems to have lovely contrast for colour judging by your pictures.</p>

It kinda looks like they were trying to copy the Contaflex concept. Does the front element have a quick change feature for other focal lengths? The photos are beautiful. I don't know what you mean by your statement "it's a basic little camera I can find no practical use for" ? Seems like the practical use is to take beautiful pictures.