The Odd Couple(r)

rick_janes

It's marked "BH MT. CONVERTER N Japan" but there's no branding at all on the converter or white cardboard box, only the plastic

bag has a red Canon logo. The box is marked LENS MOUNT CONVERTER N. It came without instructions but is easy enough to figure out.

This appears to be the genuine article, but which variant? It's not something I'll use immediately but the idea of a Medical Nikkor

200/5.6 on an FD body is a little bit intriguing, if aperture control can be managed somehow...

<p><em>the idea of a Medical Nikkor 200/5.6 on an FD body</em></p>

<p>Rick, you're right on the money: the Lens Mount Converter N was to use Nikon lenses on Canon FD bodies. What exactly is your question about variants? I didn't know there were variants, and I would have thought the mount converter would have a very simple design. (But I've never used the Converter N, having always been a Canon guy.)</p>

<p>To control the aperture, lock the aperture control switch on the back of the lens, provided you have a breech-lock lens (or one of the three FDn macro lenses). Now you have a lens with a fully manual aperture diaphragm.</p>

<p>With the other FDn lenses, you'll need an overpriced little chip of plastic called the Manual Aperture Adapter or something like that. Some people have made them. It just holds the aperture switch closed.</p>

<p>Rick, the markings indicate that you have a genuine Canon Lens Mount Converter N. I have a Bell & Howell version of the "Canon Systems Equipment" catalog from March 1969 which lists the converter as part no. 112696 and its list price as $12.50. The catalog also states that, "If lens is automatic type, its lens aperture must be set manually." Canon accessories from that time period were often packaged in plain white cardboard boxes.</p>

<p>I defer to the expertise of the above.</p>

<p>However, as a general rule regarding</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the plastic bag has a red Canon logo.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><em>anything</em> that fits can be put into a bag. In financial terms, bags may be said to be 'fungible'.</p>

<p>The diaphragm on an unmounted Nikon F lens closes automatically to the aperture selected. When mounting the lens to a Nikon camera, the aperture levers on the body and lens engage, and the rotation of the lens opens the diaphragm to the maximum aperture. In other words, if the Canon Lens Mount Converter N does not engage the aperture lever of a Nikon F mount lens, the lens' aperture should be fully manual in operation.</p>

<p>I currently own one of the variants of the "N" converter and have owned two others. One was different. Regardless, I have extensively used the converter with a Nikon Micro-Nikkor 55mm F3.5 AI. You shoot completely manual re aperture and focusing. No "auto"aperture or anything.Results are great. Better yet, combine this with a Canon lens mount converter "B" and you can use your20mm Nikkor on a Leica or Canon RF. How does that grab you. This means, of course, manual focus without RF -thus a wide angle lens is best. I have done this successfully too as I have the B converter also. </p>