The Nimslo 3D

I just realized that this year, 2007, the infamous Nimslo 3D camera turned 25 years old. Which makes it

an antique, if not a classic.

In honor of the occasion, I dug out my two Nimslo 3Ds and loaded them with their required 386

batteries, just to test them and keep their components moving.

And I was sort of surprised to find that the automatic shutters aren't responding anymore ? I mean, the

shutter remains open for as long as I hold the shutter release, although the thing is supposed to self-

adjust its shutter speed per lighting conditions. And both Nimslo cameras are misbehaving in this

fashion.

I remember once reading somewhere that the photosensitive eye of the Nimslo requires exposure to

bright light for a period of time before it will function properly, but I can't confirm that as yet.

Yes, I know the Nimslo doesn't fall into the "before 1970" category, but I still collect these old flash-in-

the-pan cameras, so you'll have to pardon me. Anyone else out there have experience with the Nimslo

3D and its peculiar shutter behavior? Thanks for your time & advice, folks!

? Charles Miller

I have used a Nimslo for 3D photography a few years back and have the camera. I will need to check the battery/shutter issue and see what happens. These cameras are well built and reliable. Not so with the Nishika! It takes 4 images (for a different type of 3D photography) and I use the first and last image and mount them on 4x7 matte board for viewing in pairs with an antique slide viewer or free viewing.

I will check mine out and post info tomorrow. I actually have exposed film in it and I need to finish it.

The concept of stereo photography goes way back into the 19th century so I think it's Ok to discuss it here.

Below is a 3D photo I took with my Nimslo. If you know how to do parallel free viewing it will work off your monitor. These have wonderful lenses.<div>00KEba-35343384.JPG.a8d3cde911cacb696f1d02c002454019.JPG</div>

I just tried mine and I haven't used it in at least 3 years and it seems to work fine. I did not do any pre-exposures to light or anything. It just worked fine. If your's worked before, they should work now.

Do you see a red and green light in the viewfinder to indicated light levels? The three batteries are inserted + down and - up.

I'll look for the book.

What internet events are planned for the anniversary?

Well, no, they are inserted correctly, and they're brand new Energizer 386 button batteries.

Funny, the shutter doesn't open at all without batteries in it. The shutter DOES open with

batteries in there, but it stays open for as long as I hold the release... Which would be fine

for timed shots, I guess, but I want my auto-shutter back.

One other thing... The Nimslo Opti-Flash, which tests normal and functioning properly by

itself, won't fire when attached to the cameras. Neither of the cameras. I'm starting to

wonder if the battery contacts are sufficiently gummed-up to disrupt the power. I'll have

to dig out a pencil eraser and clean 'em up, see what happens.

• 1 year later...
<p>For what it's worth (21 months later)....I purchased a 'like new' Nimslo 3D camera and Nimslo Opti-Lite flash unit today. I inserted the batteries as I do with other 35mm cameras, with the positive side facing outward, and got the same result as the original poster to this thread did. The shutter stayed open for as long as I pressed the shutter release button. When I reviewed the instruction manual, it stated positive should face inwards. I reversed the batteries and the camera operated normally. So I guess reversing the batteries is a good way to take long exposures. Like having a 'B', or bulb setting. -Marc</p>